cpu temp extremely high.. need some help

By outkilz
Jul 4, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i got this computer less than a year ago, and i stumbled across temp reading all over and read that everything under 70C is fine, so i went ahead and tested mine using both speedfan and motherboard monitor.
    The results i got were the same for both:

temp1:114C
    temp2:128C
    temp3:27C
    HDD:40C

i first used mbm and thaught maybe something was wrong... but then i tried speedfan and had the same results.

computer i have:
    hp pav a645
    p4 2.8ghz

thanks for anyone's help
  2. Molson316

Molson316 Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

Make sure your computer fan is working and isn't clogged with dust. Also check your heat sync inside your computer to see if it's covered in dust. If you see any dust inside your computer remove it, it's heats best friend. Also, make sure your comp is in a well ventilated space.
  3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

My guess is that the temps are wrong. At first mbm was wrong for my mobo. It was saying like 200C for the cpu temp and -170C for the aux temp. It was majorly messed up. I just tried all the sensors in the "temperatures" box until I got ones that seem reasonable. I then figured out which was the cpu by putting it under load and seeing which temp increased.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

Check the temps in the BIOS, your processor won't work at those temps.
  5. outkilz

outkilz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks... yeah i checked the temp in the bios- never knew that such things were loacted in that as well- and it was 48C..so i guess that is ok.

thanks a lot
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.