Cpu temp questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

Cpu temp questions please read

I just installes a new heatsink and fan on a amd athlon xp 2500+ 1.84 ghz . the idle temp before was 34 now it idles at 45. It runs well however should this temp be a concern for this chip? I used a cooper heatsink and artic silver5. Most of my computers i can get to idle at 35-39.
I also have a new P4 3.20 that no matter what I do it idles at 54. It is running vista mone basic if that matters. Should I be concerned about this one?
Can anyone direct me to a free site that I can run a program to see these temps at high load? Thank you

Heat dissipation is also greatly affected by heatsink fan speed/air flow.

Is the new fan slower or setup differently in bios or connected differently?

The P4 is not too hot - if that is the Prescott, it will throttle at about 72 C. In fact, most Asus boards supporting the 775 P4 have a lower thermal target of about 50-52 for the Q-fan operation (fan runs slower until temps rise and the target temp is 52 C, so at idle doing little the fan is quieter).

I have no knowledge of the AMD issue.

edit: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Those temps aren't too bad, and this may seem stupid but you need to check the simple stuff too: is your heatsink clean? I get mats of dust that totally block airflow and will raise my idle temps for my FX-62 from 35-40C to 50+C. And is the P4 *ALWAYS* at 54C? as in no change what-so-ever (even if you open your case and put a fan on it etc)? because that could just mean the temp sensor is shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back