TechSpot

CPU temperature

By acidplanet
Sep 21, 2007
  1. Hi everyone.

I just got a new computer and I have downloaded PC Wizard 2007 to check the temperatures (I had an overheating problem on my old one).
    This is the result: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/799/temperaturesxf9.jpg
    (This is at mostly idle ... just a few IE windows open, Winamp etc.)

When I am playing games the Core temperatures go to 80-90C which I am guessing is way too much but the Processor (and Motherboeard) temp stays at 55-60C during that time. Also, the computer keeps behaving normally (no lag, programs launch quickly etc.)

So, which temperature should I keep an eye on ? Core or Processor ?
    And why are Core temperatures so high ?
    Another question is about the 12V Voltage that seems low but I have no idea what to do to up it to arount 12V ?

My system specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - 3,0 GHz
    NVidia nForce 590 SLI
    Double NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - 768 Mo, SLI
    2 Mb RAM

Thanks for your help.

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

Did you try downloading some other tools, like Everest or speedfan, I prefer speedfan because its pretty quick.

3. acidplanet

acidplanet TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi.
    Yes I tried SpeedFan as well.
    It says:
    System: 57C
    CPU: 57C
    AUX: 57C
    Temp1: 40C
    Core: 73C

4. LinkedKube

Jeez, you bought this or built it, it may be a few things, a bad fitting of the heatsink, or bad air flow in the case maybe.

5. acidplanet

Bought it from Alienware.com.
    Can you tell me the difference between CPU and Core that both PCWizard and SpeedFan show ?

6. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Maniac Posts: 579

A lot of those monitoring programs aren't very accurate.

Have a look in the BIOS and see what it reports - it's usually called "Hardware Monitor" or similar.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to remove the Heatsink, give it and the CPU a clean and use some quality thermal paste.

That "core" temp may be referring to your Video Card - they do get hot!

7. LinkedKube

This is true, the most recent version of speedfan shows video card temp too, which was confusing when i downloaded it.

8. LinkedKube

these are my speedfan specs, which r kinda weird as well.

system 37C
    cpu 27C
    aux 122C< I dont even know what this is
    core0: 32:
    core1:33

9. acidplanet

I did on load after having the computer off the whole night. In BIOS it said CPU at 23-25C on load and once I got to Windows, SpeedFan reported this same temperature for CORE (the one that goes way high usually).

But then I ran a game and CORE went to 80-85C , and it took about 20-25min for it to go down to 60-65C. So I ran a game again and when the Core went to 85C I rebooted and went to BIOS which reported CPU at 64C.

So, on load the CPU in BIOS and Core in SpeedFan are the same, but after running the games I get the impression that CPU in BIOS and CPU in SpeedFan are the same ... This is just confusing ><

I've read that thermal paste can take a few days to start working properly. Is that true and can this be the reason ?

10. LinkedKube

thermal paste sometimes need to get burned in, I know for me it usually takes 5 days at most for this to happen, but thermal paste really only make about a 5C temp difference, or a good one anyway. I think you just need a better heatsink, or maybe the one that's in the case is seated wrong.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.