TechSpot

CPU Upgrade

By newbienco
Aug 2, 2005
  1. Hi

G'day all.I am planning to upgrade my cpu from pentium4 2.93Ghz 533FSB to INTEL pentium 4 531 3.0GhZ 800 FSB EMT64 HTT. However, i am unsure if it will work perfectly with ma existing computer. i juz don't want to reformat my computer after installing the new cpu or having a blue screen or having the system detecting ma speed as 533FSB and not 800FSB. heres the details for ma rig

-Intel MicroATX MOBO 915g(supports LGA775 800fsb and p4 ht technology up to 3.4 Ghz)
    -INTEL PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT 533FSB 2.93 GHZ LGA775
    -2 * Corsair Value Ram PC3200 400 MHZ 512 MB - CAS 2.5(2.5-3-3-8)
    -Xpertvision GeForce 6600GT 256 MB Pci-e
    -Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

==========================================================

i have had bad experience in the past where i lost everything on ma computer after i install a new cpu. since i never backup any of ma data, i just want to make sure that i dun have to bite the bullet twice.

any help will be appreciated

cheers everyone

2. C_Conqueror

C_Conqueror TS Rookie Posts: 217

I think you will have to reformat after everything is installed because I just upgraded and none of my games would start up so I ask what to do and someone said I should reformat I haven't tried it yet because I can't find my xp cd. But my computers runs seems to run everything else fine. I don't have internet on that one so i don't know if the internet will work or not.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.