CPU-Z timings at memory tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajay67

hi..

i am using DDR2 corsair 667 RAM. i just want to know one thing..

when running cpu-z, the memory tab says :

frequency 267 MHz
FSB:DRAM 3:4

What does this means? is this correct for this particular RAM? I thought if running on single channel I should get 333MHz

rgds

Are all your memory modules identical? Sometimes you get this when the modules are different.
Is your CPUID or CPU-Z up to date? On earlier versions the frequency meant that level or higher.
There is not much performance difference you can detect in that 66 mhz

It's hard to say what should be what without more system spec info. You have your FSB to RAM ratio set to 3:4, so if anything, if you have your FSB speed set correctly at a 3:4 ratio your RAM should be overclocked not underclocked. For instance my ratio is set to 4:5. My FSB is set to 375. 375 divided by 4 = 93.75 multiplied by 5 = 468MHz DDR2 you double that and it gives the RAM speed of 936 for my DDR2 800. An overclock of 136MHz on my memory. If I knew your FSB speed on your CPU I could tell you. As a guess I think maybe your processor is underclocked as well as your RAM. maybe... And yes if set to stock you should be getting 333MHz doubled to 666, what your RAMS speed is.

EDIT: I looked at your specs in your profile. You have your FSB set right for an E4300 200MHz. At a 3:4 ratio your RAM speed is right. If you want the RAM to run at it's stated speed then you either have to overclock the CPU or use a different RATIO, and or change the strap. What's happening basically is your RAM is faster than you need. Stock for that CPU would be DDR2 400. What you can do though, since you are running your RAM underclocked is to set the timings a lot tighter. If it's cas3 or something like 3-3-3-12 you can probably run it at cas2 2-2-2-10 or 2-3-3-10. The faster timing will give you a slight performance boost. What mobo do you have? I'll tell you what. Go back in your BIOS and see if you can set the ratio to 2:3. You may have to change the N/B Strap CPU setting. At a 2:3 ratio that will get your RAM speed up to 300MHz instead of 267. Personally, if it was me, I'd just overclock that bad boy. Raise the FSB to 266. That will push your CPU speed to 2.4GHz which is a modest overclock for that CPU. Then with the 2:3 ratio the RAM would be running right where it should be. Then you would see a serious performance jump. The VCore and DIMM voltage would need to be raised a little bit maybe, but not to anywhere that the stock cooler couldn't handle it. But that's me. You need to do what you are comfortable with. I'm a bit of an OC whacko! <g>

thnx for yr replies

well guess i hv a lot more to learn. anyway the reason i ask is just that i'm confused with those numbers. i bought my PC a few weeks ago thinking that the "667MHz" RAM should closely match E4300 with "800Mhz" FSB (thought it was "slower" than the CPU). i could hv bought "800MHz" RAM to make it perfect match! i didn't hv a clue about those ratios, cas etc that have to be taken into account. at least now i know that the numbers brought up by cpu-z are correct!

i'm quite satisfied with the speed of my system so i don't feel the need to make it faster etc (at the moment) so OC is not an option for now, but i'm glad that my system has potential to become faster when i need it!

btw for those questions :
i only have one RAM module (1GB stick) & am using gigabyte 945GZM-S2 mobo

Use two modules, instead of one. Do not use value ram or other unknown ram. You can see the most of the stats on the configuration for most modules at those sold by www.zipzoomfly.com and a few others. Use Crucial or Corsair, or other highly rated modules as tested by www.tomshardware.com. Do not use OSZ memory as the modules seem to change from month to month.

thanks ray bay for the advice
i do use corsair btw, although it's the value series.
talking about modules, it's better to have 2x512MB sticks rather than 1x1GB to make ful use of the dual channel, am i right? so later on, considering how cheap the RAM sticks are nowadays it's really worth to buy another 1GB stick. i think my mobo only has 2 RAM slots..

If you have 2 sticks in dual channel mode, regardless of the size, the odd number of sticks will cause the mobo to no longer run in dual channel mode. You either need 2 or you need 4

as i said, i have 1 stick of 1GB at the moment, so I might as well buy another stick of 1GB to make it dual mode. my mobo has only 2 slots so there's no chance for me to use 3 sticks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back