"Cracka" goes down... hard

Is hacking a bad thing because it compromises security or a good thing because it points out flaws.

• Hacking is bad for society due to the compromising of security features intended to keep us safe.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Hacking benefits society by highlighting the flaws in security and thereby keeps us all safer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Technician

Police arrest teenager over recent US government hacks
15-year-old hacker "Cracka" was reportedly arrested earlier this week in the United Kingdom.
how-to-defend-yourself-against-hacking-on-any-device.jpg

Reuters/Kacper Pempel

Authorities in the United Kingdom have reported that they believe that they have caught one of the hackers responsible for the recent wave of attacks on United States Government Officials. A 15-year-old boy who uses the name "Cracka" was arrested earlier this week for his part in a number of security breaches. He's allegedly head of the group "Crackas with Attitude" who made news back in October for breaking into the personal email of CIA head John Brennan. The group went on to access several accounts owned by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper last month.

It has also come to light that "Cracka's" associates recently told The Daily Dot that he was also responsible for leaking the personal info of nearly 30,000 Homeland Security employees and FBI personnel this week. "Crackas with Attitude" generally posts the news of their exploits with a Pro-Palestinian message included. They've said that the hacks will continue until "the US government breaks ties with Israel". In fact, the group informed Motherboard that their cyber attacks will continue in spite of the arrest of their alleged leader. "Cracka" was arrested on suspicion of three cyber crimes related to the hacks on Tuesday. Reports indicate that he was released on "unconditional bail."

Is hacking beneficial to our electronic society? Do hackers in fact keep us safer by pointing out flaws in security systems?

I think it is only a good thing ONLY if the hacker does not use the discovered flaws to do any harm and alerts the authorities of the flaws immediately so it can be addressed. Hacking for laughs and pranks is never a benefit to society.

Yeah, there's always this debate and we all know we should "make lemonade" in bad situations.
No matter how you spin it, accessing, altering something that is not yours makes YOU suspect.
It may cost you your own very dear friends down the line.

Do the right thing at all times and sleep better :)

Is hacking beneficial to our electronic society? Do hackers in fact keep us safer by pointing out flaws in security systems?
Well if you don't have anything to hide! Where have I heard that before. If they are going to come at me as if I don't or shouldn't have anything to hide, I have no sympathy for them.

Yeah, there's always this debate and we all know we should "make lemonade" in bad situations.
No matter how you spin it, accessing, altering something that is not yours makes YOU suspect.
It may cost you your own very dear friends down the line.

Do the right thing at all times and sleep better :)
I tend to agree with this point of view, and I teach it to my kids as well. I have always told them that the person they are when no one is watching them is the person they are truly.

Back