Cracked Max Payne 2 distributed through Steam

By Rick
May 14, 2010
  1. In what appears to be a slip-up by Rockstar developers, a cracked version of Max Payne 2 was distributed through Steam for a brief period of time. The origin of this embarrassing gaffe is unknown, but laziness may be to blame as Rockstar was purportedly intending to remove the DRM from the sequel of the PC gaming classic.

Read the whole story
  2. isamuelson

isamuelson TS Enthusiast Posts: 97

Was McAfee working on this? Luckily, it didn't break XP like McAfee did, so they must be getting better at their QA!

LOL! That is too funny.
  3. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TS Enthusiast Posts: 156

They got hacked.
  4. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 308

cuz they know the cracked versions are better....
  5. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

Not the first time something like this has happened, but maybe the first time it's been distributed on Steam though.

@windmill I wouldn't say better, more like the developers were lazy and just used what was already available.
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

When Empire Total War came out, I downloaded it first to see if its worth buying, and I had a great time, so i purchased it. Somehow the cracked version was able to use Crossfire, but the Steam version would not load if I had Crossfire enabled. I had to turn it off for the game to work. In the cracked version game ran fine on Crossfire.

I don't know all the details of why, but the fact spoke for itself, I had a substandard gaming experience on a retail version of game as compared to a cracked version.
  7. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Thats hilarious, they're smoking too many blunts.
  8. Captain828

Captain828 TS Guru Posts: 287   +10

lmao, even the devs use cracks when removing their DRM
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.