TechSpot

CRC error #45 and error #993

By Artie
May 26, 2005
  1. Hey

I have following problem.
    While updating Windows 2000 system restarted and BIOS recognized devices but when it came to scanning devices non was found.
    So I can't boot from this HDD.
    I tried to format this drive, since there is nothing on it that I would need.
    After 15 hours formating it came to 28%, so I put this hdd to another computer as a slave and using Partition Magic I tried to change to NTFS, format it and anything I tried to perform I got these messages:
    CRC error # 45 or error #993
    I tried to boot it from Windows 2000 installation disk, repair console and CHKDSK /P and CHKDSK /R but I was given the information that there are some unrecoveryable data.
    All I need is to format this HDD and get it running so I can install system again and work.

Thank you for ALL your help

Artie

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Looks like the drive is fishy. Download the diagnostic tools from the drive manufacturer and run a full test. Repair if you are offered the possibility, throw away if you are told the drive is bad.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.