Create Log file for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to create a batch file to create a logfile of what programs are running for windows xp? We have this exam in computer where we have to find out why a computer w/c is apparently infected by a virus w/c by the way
1) does not have explorer
2) taskmgr can still be accessed
3) windows.exe, username.exe and system32.exe is displayed and the folders are hidden
4) a batch file launches will restart windows when you run any program in the run box except for command.com

This exam has been a real challenge for my class :p
-I've already tried creating another explorer.exe in another directory and redirecting winlogon to that folder to launch explorer.exe but what happened is that another program - probably the same explorer.exe keeps on terminating the program - it's because the taskmgr just keeps on blinking, w/c i suspect that there is still a program try to kill it.

arrgggg, if only i can create a batch file to log what files are running but unfortunately tasklist also doesnt work... any help would be appreciated...

Since this is an exam question, I'm not sure I should give you any help at all - what is the point of learning about 'how can I find someone who will do this for me?' That way lies a life of incompetance. The question is designed among other things, to teach you to use the resources available to you for research purposes.

All right, I'll relent slightly. Find out about SysInternals.

Since this is an exam question, I'm not sure I should give you any help at all - what is the point of learning about 'how can I find someone who will do this for me?' That way lies a life of incompetance. The question is designed among other things, to teach you to use the resources available to you for research purposes.

All right, I'll relent slightly. Find out about SysInternals.

if it was possible to use autoruns or process explorer... believe me, I would have done that. The thing is you can't really run anything on the system except for command.com and there was no internet. Yes I was able to make explorer appear after i delete all those exe files that replaced the system32, windows and username folder w/c is part of batch file w/c causes the system to restart. The thing is after you restart it, you are done with it. It will cause the system to do a none stop restart. What am thinking is if there is a way to put make tasklist to create a file w/c you could put in the registry so that before or as the batch file starts up it will be logged in the tasklist. Am just not too sure if putting the batch file to create the log will launch first before the restart batch file starts up because that restart batch file is not in the run folder of the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back