Creating a searchable string in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

halo71

I am doing a project at work where my boss want a spread sheet set up with an on screen search feature. To search PO's, part numbers etc. I thought no problem, I simply used VLOOKUP on the sheet, entered the information he wanted and I am thinking i am done. But NO, he wants it to start searching as soon as he types in a PO or part number. So say there are 100 part numbers that start with "4". He wants it to start showing "possibilities" as soon as he types in the 4, then it starts narrowing down to the exact number.

Not sure I am explaining it clear enough. I know exactly what he is wanting. I just dont know what it is called, or find any code online to do it with.

Anyone got any ideas?

I don't think you can catch keystrokes in Excel, so no easy way. Maybe there is a suitable component for a form or if you do the searches based on a timer instead of keystrokes..

Don't think this can be done in Excel the way your boss wants it to work. The easiest way would be to use a VB script on the on-screen form. Create a record set of all the PO or part numbers and then write a select statement to narrow it down based on the characters entered.
Best of luck!

I'll just tell him that he will have to deal with it the way it currently is. I am tired of searching the net for what he is wanting. While I understand what he is wanting, I am totally lost to why he wants it this way.

Plus if Nodsu doesnt have an immediate answer, I am fairly sure it can't be done! ;)

Thanks for looking though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back