TechSpot

Creative SB Live & XP not happy together

By wolfclan
Dec 30, 2003
  1. I've recently upgraded to XP from 98, I should say fresh install. And regardless of updating drivers or changing PCI slots, the SB Live is identified by XP as a "VGA device". Forcing the drivers onto the "VGA device" does nothing. Any ideas????

2. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

Have you downloaded the 'latest' SB drivers from Creative's site? Loading them, rebooting and letting XP find them should alleviate your issue.

3. tripleione

tripleione TS Rookie Posts: 154

It sounds like you have more than one peice of hardware missing drivers. I don't think Windows would recognize a SoundBlaster Live! as a VGA device.

4. Krugger

Krugger TS Rookie Posts: 173

there are XP fixes from creative.
    are you SURE the vga device is the SB?

5. SubKamran

SubKamran TS Rookie Posts: 166

XP detects SB Live! devices. I have a X-Gamer and XP installed it fine.

Also, don't install any Creative driver updates for the Live! cards because they mess up your computer.

Sadly, you will not be able to install the software on your CD because it's incompatible with XP.

6. wolfclan

wolfclan TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, I have verified the "VGA device" is the SB. There's nothing elese it could be. The Creative driver update is self extracting and will not install if it does not detect the card. And it can't detect the card because XP ID'd it as "VGA device". A catch 22. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Does the card work in other computers?

Here's what I'd try:

- remove the card

- clear nvram / escd data & reboot

- put the card back in, possibly into another PCI slot

8. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

What video card are you using? If it's ATI it could explain the VGA device if you haven't got the multimedia center loaded.

9. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Ive had the same problem. My SB Live worked beautifully under 98 but always had problems with XP and 2000. Creative has a patch that has solved the problem for me.

10. SubKamran

SubKamran TS Rookie Posts: 166

Good. I always had problems with SbLive!.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.