Creative SB Live & XP not happy together

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently upgraded to XP from 98, I should say fresh install. And regardless of updating drivers or changing PCI slots, the SB Live is identified by XP as a "VGA device". Forcing the drivers onto the "VGA device" does nothing. Any ideas????

Have you downloaded the 'latest' SB drivers from Creative's site? Loading them, rebooting and letting XP find them should alleviate your issue.

It sounds like you have more than one peice of hardware missing drivers. I don't think Windows would recognize a SoundBlaster Live! as a VGA device.

XP detects SB Live! devices. I have a X-Gamer and XP installed it fine.

Also, don't install any Creative driver updates for the Live! cards because they mess up your computer.

Sadly, you will not be able to install the software on your CD because it's incompatible with XP.

Yes, I have verified the "VGA device" is the SB. There's nothing elese it could be. The Creative driver update is self extracting and will not install if it does not detect the card. And it can't detect the card because XP ID'd it as "VGA device". A catch 22. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

Does the card work in other computers?

Here's what I'd try:

- remove the card

- clear nvram / escd data & reboot

- put the card back in, possibly into another PCI slot

Originally posted by wolfclan
Yes, I have verified the "VGA device" is the SB. There's nothing elese it could be. The Creative driver update is self extracting and will not install if it does not detect the card. And it can't detect the card because XP ID'd it as "VGA device". A catch 22. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

What video card are you using? If it's ATI it could explain the VGA device if you haven't got the multimedia center loaded.

Ive had the same problem. My SB Live worked beautifully under 98 but always had problems with XP and 2000. Creative has a patch that has solved the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back