TechSpot

Creative Soundblaster 5.1 - rear speakers not working!!!

By kop_king
Apr 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi all,
    I have had a Creative Soundblaster Audigy Platinum eX 5.1 soundcard for the last 3 years. No problems with it until now - the rear 2 speakers have stopped working with only a minor hiss coming out. The sub-woofer and front 2 speakers do give out sound fine.

When I boot into Win XP each time, in the device manager it says "Multimedia Audio Controller is not installed" and there is there is a yellow-circle icon next to it.

The spec of my PC is as follows:

AMD 2400+
    Win XP (SP2)
    1GB ram
    250GB hard drv
    Ati Radeon 970 Pro graphics cards

When I go to the Creative website and do auto-update for the drivers, it says "no Creative product was detected on your machine". I have installed the Creative drivers from before, as in device manager I can see clearly "Creative Sound Audigy".

I did delete the sound drivers and re-installed them, but I still have the problem with rear-speakers

I opened up the PC to check that the cables are connected (cable to DVD-rom, power & IDE). They all seem fine. Even at the back of the sub-woofer, all connections seem fine.

Is there a way of testing the speakers with a program, as I feel there may be a hardware issue although bot sure what with - the soundcard or speakers???

I hope someone can provide me with some useful advice, I heard you guys were good. Thanks in advance./

kop_king (England, UK)

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

There should be a diagnostic program in the Creative program group.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

remove all your sound drivers and so a fresh install.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.