crossover cable w/ ics

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i have a laptop sharing a wireless connection using ICS. it's connected via a crossover cable to a desktop and it works.... but only for a short while. About 10 minutes at the most.

At first I had used this to get my xbox 360 to connect to xbox live, and that worked until i started pinging out of games after about 10 minutes or so. So i just ended up using the ethernet for that and stopped worrying about it.

However i just recently got a used computer that i've just wiped clean and since i don't have an extra wireless card, i decided to bust out that crossover cable again. And the same problem is happening again.

After 10 or so minutes, the internet cuts out and doesn't work on either computer until i physically remove the cable. The internet starts working again on the ICS enabled laptop, and it'll only work when i wait a second and plug it back in for the desktop. Confused yet?

Sorry if this is so long to read, i've tried to be as descriptive as possible.

I really doubt that it is the cable to blame. It's not like ethernet cables go hot over time. It's probably some glitch in the laptop OS or NIC.

When the internet goes out, can you still see the other computer across the crossover cable? Try pinging the other machine.

Could it be that your ISP is somehow detecting that you are oing ICS and kills your connection?

after a couple hours of tinkering, i think i found out how to get around this.

i changed my router's ip to 192.168.1.1, this way ICS can use the default 192.168.0.1

seems to be working fine now, and it kinda makes sense why that solution would work. hopefully this will help anybody in the future.

I'm a little :confused: here.
Glad you got it working, but why are you using ICS if you have a router?
Surely you just link all your PCs to your router, either wired or wirelessly.
Or is it one of those crappy routers with only one RJ-45 port?

If it's a two-port router, just get a cheap-*** switch or a hub to get more ports..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back