Crypto miners are buying up all the AMD Ryzen CPUs

emorphy

Staff
Here we go again: The supply of AMD Radeon graphics cards was already tight, with demand surging in China. Still, with Bitcoin and Ethereum skyrocketing, crypto miners have gone into overdrive, buying up all the stock. The demand will be even worse when Zen 5 comes to market since they are rumored to offer twice the AVX512 performance of Zen 4.

Cryptocurrency mining has always led to a resource drain, particularly in power, water, and land. Crypto miners are now buying AMD Ryzen CPUs in bulk, resulting in shortages. The Ryzen 9 7950X, which is one of the most powerful desktop CPUs for gaming or productivity, is highly sought after in certain regions such as Qubic because it supports AVX2 or AVX512 instruction sets, the key to many mining rigs, as well as its overall efficiency.

It's also more lucrative. A miner can generate almost twice as much profit using 7950X CPUs versus the flagship Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 GPU, partly because of the latter's higher price point. Rumors suggest that things will only worsen when Zen 5 CPUs enter mass production later this year.

Chinese technology outlet UDN expects Zen 5 chips to enter TSMC fabs between April and June, with mass production scheduled for the following quarter. Mainstream Zen 5 CPUs will feature "Nirvana" cores, while chips designed for the dense-compute segment for client and server applications will ship with Zen 5c "Prometheus" cores, the publication said.

Of greater importance to crypto miners, though, is that the next-gen AMD chip architecture will offer twice the AVX512 performance of Zen 4, according to Kepler_LS. It also happens that AMD Radeon graphics cards were already in short supply in China due to the US ban on exports of RTX 4090s to the region.

It has become much more challenging to obtain AMD Ryzen CPUs in recent weeks – not so coincidentally around the same time that values of Bitcoin and Ethereum skyrocketed, reviving interest in cryptocurrency mining. Last week, leaker MEGAsizeGPU (@Zed__Wang) pointed out the shortage on X.

"7950X is out of stock everywhere," he posted. "What happened? Are there any special needs for this CPUs, or is it discontinued?"

The Ryzen 9 7950X is out of stock on Amazon, Newegg, and other retailers. However, some are available through Best Buy and AMD's online store. It didn't take MEGAsizeGPU to figure out what was happening.

"Now I understand," he wrote in a follow-up post. "7950X is the king in Qubic mining."

Permalink to story.

I'm honestly not all that worried: Let's be real for a bit: as a personal user unless you do something like CPU render or compile code all day, you've been able to satisfy most day-to-day computing needs for like the last 8 years or so.

Like sure, you might have to make do with a "Terrible slow" Zen 2 or Zen 3 chip that still gets you through 99% of your daily computing use without issue and might get you 80 FPS instead of 110 FPS on your maxed out games: pretty sure you'll get by. Most people could basically replace all of their work computers and laptops with literally the cellphones on their pockets (And not even flagship ones, just regular midrange phones) and wouldn't notice anything is different.

So miners not having access to GPUs that are going towards AI tasks instead (a.k.a. The more legitimized version of the same crypto scam) will likely make no difference to us, it'll mean more units moved for AMD and well we know crypto's cycle so it will crash inside 24 months anyway bringing things back to normal.

I get the appeal of crypto for criminals and/or others who are cut off from proper financial markets. For anyone else, why invest in an asset that is exceptionally susceptible to fraud, theft, or other scams, and/or adverse government action.

Anyway, as long as people keep buying it, someone will want to sell it to them. Buyers of CPUs and other components may be temporarily inconvenienced but the long-term effect will ultimately be more computing power available at lower prices, on both the primary and secondary markets.

I get the appeal of crypto for criminals and/or others who are cut off from proper financial markets. For anyone else, why invest in an asset that is exceptionally susceptible to fraud, theft, or other scams, and/or adverse government action.

Anyway, as long as people keep buying it, someone will want to sell it to them. Buyers of CPUs and other components may be temporarily inconvenienced but the long-term effect will ultimately be more computing power available at lower prices, on both the primary and secondary markets.
Because the main reason Bitcoin was created was to do with the 2008 financial crisis, government create more and more currency resulting in your savings diminishing and bankers being the absolute parasites that they are, financial instruments will more than likely break and crash again. It's a store of wealth that cannot be taken off you unless you have no clue how it works. Every other financial instrument is linked to some form of government oversight, resulting in them being able to take it off you, even gold (yes physically, you can hide them but how are you going to move it when you decide the government you are controlled by is not worth paying taxes too and you want to refuge somewhere else, how are you going to transport that).

Basically, hedging your bets and placing money into all sorts of assets is the safest thing you will ever do. The worst thing you can do is have a savings account.

7950X3D is selling as low as $569.99 and is readily available everywhere. This one is not affected yet. Thank goodness.

Because the main reason Bitcoin was created was to do with the 2008 financial crisis, government create more and more currency resulting in your savings diminishing and bankers being the absolute parasites that they are, financial instruments will more than likely break and crash again. It's a store of wealth that cannot be taken off you unless you have no clue how it works. Every other financial instrument is linked to some form of government oversight, resulting in them being able to take it off you, even gold (yes physically, you can hide them but how are you going to move it when you decide the government you are controlled by is not worth paying taxes too and you want to refuge somewhere else, how are you going to transport that).

Basically, hedging your bets and placing money into all sorts of assets is the safest thing you will ever do. The worst thing you can do is have a savings account.
Yeah, I know the sales pitch. And as a semi-libertarian with invested assets, I want to believe them as much as anyone else. I just don't think those alleged benefits actually stand up under scrutiny for anyone whose options are not already severely constrained.

Just for starters:
- the people who mint coins can have far sneakier, far more adverse impact than the fed moving interest rates up a half point
- plenty of people have had crypto taken off them by crooks & scammers, with much less recourse than you'd have with traditional regulated investment vehicles
- no human is immune to adverse action from the governments that have jurisdiction over them, and I believe you're far more likely to eventually encounter that adverse action w.r.t your crypto assets than virtually any other than stockpiles of illegal drugs.
- Not only that, you are unusually susceptible to the actions of *other* governments. If China's government one day feels threated by crypto and announces plans to execute anyone trading in it, the floor will drop out and that will affect the global market, not just China's.
- btw the US government turned an eventual profit under the terms of its 2008 bailouts.

Oh, no, crypto mining! AMD? Ok, I don't care. Btw, Bitcoin is king and everyone else is fighting for scraps. Crypto mining without ASICs is a waste of time. Some cryptos block ASICs, that's another story. It's a story for dumb people to believe they have a shot. Wasting tons of energy for some obscure crapcoins will be short lived, so, don't fret!

To be fair, I don't think Ryzen 9 7950X is selling like hot cakes. So selling out is not surprising because I doubt there is a strong supply for it. AMD would have prioritized on Ryzen 7, with and without X3D, since these are likely the best selling chips in their entire range for retail market.

It is not selling like hot cakes for sure. AMD lowered 7000 production long ago. Just a result of this. Slightly higher than the usual demand at best.

AMD is prepping Zen 5 for release in Q3. This is what AMD focus on. Production ramped up, meaning lower 7000 output.

7950X is soon to be 2 years old and replaced. No-one is gobbling these chips up at this point. The ROI is terrible in this case. 3 dollars a day. Peanuts really.

Last edited:
- btw the US government turned an eventual profit under the terms of its 2008 bailouts.

Ding.

Granted, turning the profit wasn't strictly *necessary*; the entire point was to ensure monetary supply existed so business could continue operating. Simply being "less expensive then doing nothing" would be classified as a success; turning a profit on the whole ordeal is just extra icing on top.

- the people who mint coins can have far sneakier, far more adverse impact than the fed moving interest rates up a half point
(1) In the entire history of Bitcoin and Ethereum, no miner has ever had a "sneaky" or "adverse" -- or any unexpected impact whatsoever -- on the price of the currency.
(2) If you think a government is limited to "moving interest rates a half point" in manipulating their own currency, think again. Just recently, the US fed raised rates from 0.25% to 5.5% --and in the last few decades along, many nations have experienced or skirted with hyperinflationary spirals. Brazil saw inflation top 7,000% in the 1980s, Nicaragua topped 10,000% at the same time, Russia topped 1,000% in the 1990s, in 2019, Venezula's inflation rate briefly topped 2 million percent, and in 2008 a certain African nation saw inflation rates of nearly 1 trillion percent.

No, the US government lost hundreds of billions on those bailouts: trillions if one counts interest costs. The total bailouts included far more than the $800B TARP program -- there was the $200B Fannie Mae/Freddy Mac bailout, the CDBG grants, an additional $300B in loan guarantees for FHA, more than $100B in tax breaks granted through the "Housing and Economic Recovery Act", and others.

Oh, no, crypto mining! AMD? Ok, I don't care. Btw, Bitcoin is king and everyone else is fighting for scraps....Crypto mining without ASICs is a waste of time.
Ethereum's market cap is just below $500B, just barely below Bitcoin's ... and Ethereum no longer uses mining for validation, but rather proof of stake.

This money - laundering - ponzi- scam plague is only getting worse.

Drug cartels and other assorted criminals are very pleased.

Because the main reason Bitcoin was created was to do with the 2008 financial crisis, government create more and more currency resulting in your savings diminishing and bankers being the absolute parasites that they are, financial instruments will more than likely break and crash again. It's a store of wealth that cannot be taken off you unless you have no clue how it works.
Oh the irony! :laughing: Literally all the things that crapto was created to combat, it has created and is far more susceptible to those same things.

Just shows its creators were not as smart as they thought.

I'm honestly not all that worried: Let's be real for a bit: as a personal user unless you do something like CPU render or compile code all day, you've been able to satisfy most day-to-day computing needs for like the last 8 years or so.

Like sure, you might have to make do with a "Terrible slow" Zen 2 or Zen 3 chip that still gets you through 99% of your daily computing use without issue and might get you 80 FPS instead of 110 FPS on your maxed out games: pretty sure you'll get by. Most people could basically replace all of their work computers and laptops with literally the cellphones on their pockets (And not even flagship ones, just regular midrange phones) and wouldn't notice anything is different.

But I need a 7950x to
1) future proof until the 8950x comes out
2) post it in my signature which enables me to feel superior and mock anyone who doesn't have it
3) have a higher score in Cinebench
4) allow me to fully enjoy world of warcraft classic to its fullest potential
5) on the off chance I decide to render something, I will be able to. (note to self; google what rendering is...should do it on my phone next time I run Cinebench)

Just in case some can't use a simple Google search 🙄 AMD still has the 7950X3D available.
Here is a power consumption chart comparison showing significant efficiency vs the sold out 7950X.

Ethereum's market cap is just below $500B, just barely below Bitcoin's ... and Ethereum no longer uses mining for validation, but rather proof of stake.
Barely below? Bitcoin is almost three times as big. It's a distant second. POS? Ok, that doesn't need ASICs, but is less secure. Anyway, that's beside the point of these guys buying CPUs, which is the worst way to mine.

Yeah, I know the sales pitch. And as a semi-libertarian with invested assets, I want to believe them as much as anyone else. I just don't think those alleged benefits actually stand up under scrutiny for anyone whose options are not already severely constrained.

Just for starters:
- plenty of people have had crypto taken off them by crooks & scammers, with much less recourse than you'd have with traditional regulated investment vehicles
- no human is immune to adverse action from the governments that have jurisdiction over them, and I believe you're far more likely to eventually encounter that adverse action w.r.t your crypto assets than virtually any other than stockpiles of illegal drugs.
- Not only that, you are unusually susceptible to the actions of *other* governments. If China's government one day feels threated by crypto and announces plans to execute anyone trading in it, the floor will drop out and that will affect the global market, not just China's.

Just to add to your solid points, the US constitution provides that only the federal government can determine what constitutes legal tender.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/legal_tender

Since cryptocurrency is not a form of legal tender, it is not automatically a valid way to pay a debt or purchase goods. Only the federal government can issue legal tender, so you are ultimately reliant on the government continuing to allow transactions involving cryptocurrencies.

Back