TechSpot

Curious about telnet

By Karmashock
Jan 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What can it be used for, what is the best client/server for windows XP, and i'd like a little help setting some of it up.

I'm just looking for an all around good tutorial in telnet.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

3. Karmashock

Karmashock TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 237

I have more respect for your time then that... I of course looked there first but didn't find a tutorial on the subject. The history of the protocol isn't what I'm after. I'm wondering if I can log into a command prompt at a hosting computer. That is effectively VNC JUST a command prompt.

Example:

C:\cd directoryname

or

C:\ProgramName.exe

It said I can administer servers with it... so... In what manner do you administer them and how would I go about doing that?

4. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

I use it at work almost everyday. I can connect to RFT's (wireless computers on forklifts) on the warehouse floor, connect to wireless access points change settings, reboot etc. Its much easier to reboot an access point from my computer then go out in a 1.2 million square foot warehouse and manually do it!

Not sure what the best is really....

5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

There are huge numbers of excellent info sites on Telnet you will find with a Google search.
    It it amazingly reliable and usable, but it takes some reading... There are many universities that have excellent quick tutorials still. Also, good info on a Wikipedia site.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

PLEASE abandon all thoughts of telnet unless you like system restore and repairing infections. Telnet is insecure and easily used as a backdoor into your
    system.

THE solution for remote login is SSH. Better because the data is encrypted both
    ways (making it very difficult to bust into your system), AND it also implements
    FTP, so that you get two services, safe and secure, for one implementation.

7. halo71

Well that is true, but I think it depends on the application he uses it in. For what I use it for, I do not have to worry about any of that.

8. jobeard

Telnet and SSH have nothing to do with the application on the remote end.
    They both provide a remote login and a means to transport data both ways.
    The only issue might be running X11 GUI and even that can be done with a
    careful config.

9. halo71

Okay maybe application was not the right word to use, maybe environment would have been a better choice.

10. jobeard

other than DOS, it runs everywhere telnet/ftp will run :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.