Cursor corruption and glitches with Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
After purchasing and installing Dead Space for my computer, I found out it didn't work. So, I updated my graphic card drivers like most support suggests. It didn't help the game working issue, but brought some more problems to the pot.

I didn't know where to find the drivers for radeon pro 9800 128mb, so I ended using the windows automatic update for the drivers. It download and installed something and since then the mouse cursor and the small box that closes the window have started to glitching.
The mouse cursor has black stripes drawn over it. Also, in games, there are lots of small graphical errors and glitches, while there was none before.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers, installing new ones, installing old ones and messed a lot with it. Only thing that helps is reducing the hardware acceleration from full to one notch before. Doing that fixes it in the desktop, but messes up the games. After uninstalling the drivers, the glitches are gone, until windows automatically installs some drivers. Changing the cursors, enabling cursor shadow or trails also fixes the cursor problems, but doesn't help the game ones.

Any help is very very much appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text too.

I don't think your old card meets the minimum requirements of the game. Further, since ATI has stopped supporting that card with drivers, you will mess up your graphics if you try to use the most current ones. Use Catalyst version 9.3 or older. That card was top of the line in its day but time has passed it by.

Ya as Mailpup already said a Radeon 9800 Pro does not meet the requirements for Dead Space. It was a great card for its time but I doubt any current games work on it properly if at all. Dead Space needs at minimum a 256mb card that supports shader model 3.0. If you are interested in an upgrade we could help out with some low-end options that should work albeit probably not at max. And regarding your now driver issue, you could give driver sweeper a try and clean everything unwanted out and reinstall your original drivers.

Thanks for the help, didn't even know about the driver sweeper program.

Unfortunately, it didn't help the issue at all. I cleaned the display drivers many times after uninstalling them in safe mode and installed different versions, but all had the same exact error with the cursor. I'm starting to doubt if the card itself is okay anymore, but it should be, since the issues came only after updating the driver. Since then, it seems no matter which driver I install, all have the same error.

With graphics cards as old as yours the cooling fan can fail or not go as fast as before and/or the heatsink can get clogged with dust and cause overheating which leads to graphics corruption. Try cleaning out any accumulated dust. It might be too late and you might have to replace the card but it can't hurt to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back