Cyberpunk 2077 draws over one million concurrent Steam players, beating Fallout 4's record

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? After years of waiting and three delays, the day has finally arrived: Cyberpunk 2077 is here. It should come as little surprise to learn that the game is proving popular. So popular, in fact, that it’s already smashed Fallout 4’s record for the most concurrent players on Steam, and has already passed the one-million milestone.

Cyberpunk 2077 was always going to be a hit, despite some reviews being less than glowing—mostly a result of the launch-day bugs. But that hasn't dampened enthusiasm; when pre-loads went live, Steam saw its biggest bandwidth peak since PUBG 1.0.

As noted by analyst Daniel Ahmad, Steam downloads peaked at 23.5 terabytes per second on December 7, nearly three times the previous day’s average. You can see the sudden jump from around 8 Tbps the hour that pre-loads began. Ahmed notes that this beat the previous record of 22 Tbps when PUBG 1.0 launched on December 1, 2017.

Now that Cyberpunk 2077 is available, it’s setting Steam alight. Fallout 4 had held the record for most concurrent players in a single-player game (472,962 at launch) for five years, but CD Projekt Red’s title has smashed through that number in the few hours since release, peaking at 1,003,264.

PUBG's record of 3,236,027 concurrent players, set in January 2018, will be a hard number to reach, but Cyberpunk 2077 is already close to Dota 2’s 1,291,328, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive’s 1,305,714.

Of course, the important thing to note is that the actual number of people playing Cyberpunk 2077 on PC will be much higher than Steam’s figures, seeing as it’s also available on the Epic Games Store and CD Projekt’s GOG.

Permalink to story.

My friend took vacation days just to play this game. Apparently doing that is much more common than I thought.

Either it's an incredibly clever use of vacation days during this pandemic, or kind of sad that people couldn't find a better use of their time off.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I experienced NO BUGS last night.
I streamed for 3 hours using Streamyard/YouTube.

Game looked amazing.

I didn’t care about FPS but my 3090 had no problems running it. Details and settings way up.

The customization was crazy- I made an uncircumcised, “Big”, Khal Drogo looking dude for the audience.

I’m stunned.

Dialogue system is ok - I just would have remapped some buttons.

Why would you buy this on Steam?!? GOG is DRM free and far superior...
Because Galaxy 2.0's interface, and I cant believe this, is far inferior to steam, and just like with EA, ubisoft, ece many peopel dont want to have yet another app on their PC just to own a game when they can buy it off steam.

Because Galaxy 2.0's interface, and I cant believe this, is far inferior to steam, and just like with EA, ubisoft, ece many peopel dont want to have yet another app on their PC just to own a game when they can buy it off steam.
That just shows how spoiled gamers are these days. Oh it is so unconvenient to have to install another launcher to play a video game. So terrible!

Why would you buy this on Steam?!? GOG is DRM free and far superior...

If I could buy 100% of my games on STEAM, I would.

I hate the fact that so many games require all these other installation bases (ecosystems). I love STEAM, I love STEAM Sales and I love having everything in just one place with just one password in case I want to download content later.

That just shows how spoiled gamers are these days. Oh it is so unconvenient to have to install another launcher to play a video game. So terrible!
If I'm paying upwards of $80 for a game, you can bet I'm going to buy it on the most convenient platform to me.
If they lowered the price on GOG as an incentive, then maybe. But economics says that I'm going to buy it on the platform that gives me the most value.

Well, got a little excited to play last night (didn't think it would go live so early). After a few hours to unpack and patch on Steam, I jumped into the character creator to "quickly play the intro" before the weekend. Ended up losing an hour of sleep lol

That said, I did run into a few bugs that slowed the story down. The first one being that progressing dialogue just wouldn't show for a minute (only giving me a looping side dialogue), and after visiting the ripperdoc my companion I was supposed to talk to wasn't there (went around doing a side quest, and he re-appeared after that so I could continue).

Otherwise, things were fine. The GTA style world has a lot to do, and the combat (the little I had) felt nice enough. The sheer amount of choice (with perks and customizations) are what I'm excited to go through...

I bought it, ran it a few times before going to bed. It’s a monster of a game, it definitely needs DLSS lol.

But economics says that I'm going to buy it on the platform that gives me the most value.
The platform is the PC, not Steam. Steam is a shop which keeps your games locked on that software, every time having to update steam and see their offers and pay the commission to the platform they charge developers. Just for the ease of not installing the product on its actual code. You know this.

Last edited:
But the whole point of the DRM-free purchase is that you don't need ANY client to run it. You buy CP2077 on GOG, you own it: you download, install and run it directly if you want (GOG Galaxy is not mandatory), the end :)

If I could buy 100% of my games on STEAM, I would.

I hate the fact that so many games require all these other installation bases (ecosystems). I love STEAM, I love STEAM Sales and I love having everything in just one place with just one password in case I want to download content later.
You know that because it is DRM-free, you could buy it from GOG, download and install it, and then just map it to Steam, right? You don't need to use GOG to play the game.

I have 0 intent to buy it, but good thing it's digital or the scalpers would be having another hayday.

Why is using vacation for a fun past time or hobby (or whatever you want to call it) "kind of sad"? You don't need to shame people for wanting to enjoy a piece of media...
Especially since it is not like you can travel with your vacation right now either. I'm about to take a month off of work because: 1. I have the PTO to burn and I need to use it or lose it; 2. I am going to quarantine for two weeks before seeing my family for Christmas; 3. I am going to quarantine again after Christmas so that I can see my grand parents before returning to work.

If I am going to locked in my house for a month, I might as well play 2077.

The game is great but the pc keybinds are sorely lacking. Not having the ability to rebind several important keys is ridiculous. I'm a numpad user since the 90's. I'm not about to be forced to WASD for this. Having to resort to third party key mapping software is pretty sad in 2020.

But the whole point of the DRM-free purchase is that you don't need ANY client to run it. You buy CP2077 on GOG, you own it: you download, install and run it directly if you want (GOG Galaxy is not mandatory), the end :)
I think the obvious advantages of buying a DRM free game are completely misunderstood by the Steamers cocooned in the comfort blanket of their Steam library.

The platform is the PC, not Steam. Steam is a shop which keeps your games locked on that software, every time having to update steam and see their offers and pay the commission to the platform they charge developers. Just for the ease of not installing the product on its actual code. You know this.
Semantics. You knew what I meant.

I think the obvious advantages of buying a DRM free game are completely misunderstood by the Steamers cocooned in the comfort blanket of their Steam library.
No, the very basic (and relaxed) DRM Steam uses is not worth complaining about for a lot of us. Easy to crack if I wanted to.
And then the services and community tools that we use are worth so much more than you seem to know. Just the other day I was able to easily play couch co-op with a friend over the internet with no added complexity. Why? because it's a free feature on Steam.
The provided value and continuously added features from Steam more than make up for the supposed cocooning. Just because you don't see the value, doesn't mean people like us (who don't necessarily want to manually manage games) don't.

I bought it, ran it a few times before going to bed. It’s a monster of a game, it definitely needs DLSS lol.

I watched Maximilian_DOOD on twitch steam it last night he has a 3090.

He took off DLSS
Took off ray tracing
and enabled vsync

and playing at 1440p

He did all this to have smooth game play.

Twitch video

I watched Maximilian_DOOD on twitch steam it last night he has a 3090.

He took off DLSS
Took off ray tracing
and enabled vsync

and playing at 1440p

He did all this to have smooth game play.

watch the video from 1:20 in.
Well I’m sure he did if he owns a 3090! But I don’t, I have an RTX 2080 and without DLSS I wasn’t even hitting 60 with ray tracing on. Fortunately once DLSS was enabled I was getting 70-80. This is the first time my RTX 2080 couldn’t hit 60 with RTX on without DLSS in any game since I bought it.

I’m sure if I turned off RT it would be absolutely fine however have you seen the RT effects in this game? It makes a huge difference, I don’t want to play without them. RT isn’t a gimmick like hair works maybe it was in BFV but in this game and a few others it changes the look and feel of the whole thing.

Why is using vacation for a fun past time or hobby (or whatever you want to call it) "kind of sad"? You don't need to shame people for wanting to enjoy a piece of media...

Nothing is wrong with taking time off and having a chill staycation. What's sad is that it became the only option.

So instead of going to Colorado like we did last year, he just saved and saved his days to burn until now. I'm in the same boat and plan to do it next week as well, so at least that's the clever part.

Well I’m sure he did if he owns a 3090! But I don’t, I have an RTX 2080 and without DLSS I wasn’t even hitting 60 with ray tracing on. Fortunately once DLSS was enabled I was getting 70-80. This is the first time my RTX 2080 couldn’t hit 60 with RTX on without DLSS in any game since I bought it.

I’m sure if I turned off RT it would be absolutely fine however have you seen the RT effects in this game? It makes a huge difference, I don’t want to play without them. RT isn’t a gimmick like hair works maybe it was in BFV but in this game and a few others it changes the look and feel of the whole thing.

Based on his comments and what I saw from him running with Ray tracing on didn't look like that big of a difference to me and not worth the performance hit if you have to turn it off on a 3090.

Infact with all the things he turned off just to keep it smooth I would feel like I wasted a ton of money on a 3090.

What cpu are using to push your RTX 2080?

Back