D-Link DWA-131 driver problem

Am on son´s DELL laptop with Windows XP as my pc now has no internet. Did something silly and now in a pickle. Restore previous system won´t work and I can´t find drivers for D Link DWA 131 for Windows. Been to their site and see drivers for Linux, mac etc. The version I need is 1.2 I think. When I download from D link....all I get are .sys files and other similar files. Nothing I can install. From Techspot, went to BleepingComputer where I found drivers for Realtek RTL8192S which is what Control Panel, hardware, devices tells me I have (or is that just a generic default or legacy type thing?). Anyway, that didn´t work as my computer politely said ´no´ as when I clicked on the setup file, I got the message that my operating system isn´t compatible.There were folders for Vista, 2k, 7, XP etc but nothing for Windows 8. (64bit). I thought Windows 8 would have read and accepted Windows 7 ´stuff´ but maybe I am a wee bit naive. I have spent most of my Sunday trying to get it going....so any help gratefully received.

Back