TechSpot

D-Link router backdoor vulnerability allows full access to settings

By Scorpus
Oct 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you have a D-Link router, you should be particularly cautious as a fairly serious vulnerability has been discovered. A writer from embedded device hacking website /dev/ttyS0 was looking through the firmware for a D-Link DIR-100 router, and found something unusual....

Read more

2. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Rookie Posts: 92   +33

*Sniff*nsa*Sniff*

spencer likes this.
  3. The NSA have their foot in every door.

4. D-Link sucks anyway

5. Anyone silly enough to use d-stink hardware deserved it

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,683   +86

The had issues closing port 113. I've stopped using anything from DLINK.

7. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 516   +86

Good thing I would never use D-Link

8. Can you say DD-WRT?

9. Why didn't Edward Snowed-in warn us that the NSA had backdoors in Dlink firmware?

Coz he couldn't cash in out that one. Damn traitor.

10. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

Hehehe. did some u.s. officials allege that some Chinese tech products made by Huawei are a threat to u.s. national security due to backdoor vulnerabilities? maybe all these 'backdoors' are at the corresponding government's request.

11. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

He said the nsa has been building backdoors in software in general practically everything. Think of it all they have to do is insert one highly skilled developer into the company they choose and the backdoor is there.

12. The U.S. Constitution is written in plain enough language that most of us can read and understand it. When you compare our governments actions and Mr. Snowden's actions against that document, are you really sure who the traitor is?

...I'm not.

13. Night Hacker

Night Hacker TS Enthusiast Posts: 112   +12

How the hell do I "deserve it"?! It is inexpensive and works for me. I can't stand people like you who berate others like this. I know a lot of very good people who know very little about computers who would probably use this hardware and they most certainly do not "deserve it"! I can see why you hide behind the "guest" feature, coward.

14. My d-link blocks random connections. Iv checked the settings which show no security whatsoever enabled. Random connections dont get blocked when im plugged directly into my modem, so I know it doesnt have to do with my isp. My next router wont be d-link.

15. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

Glad I dont have a Dlink router.

16. Agreed. D-Link is a shitty company with crappy hardware. Their routers can't even process a few UDP packets for a couple of minutes without crashing horribly. What a worthless company. It still amazes me how such a company can stay in business for so long.

17. @ previous Guest : Probably due to NSA funding. :p

Of course I wouldn't be surprised if reverse engineers continue discovering more backdoors in common hardware and software. Windows, now D-Link, what's next? It's getting closer and closer to the Open Source revolution.

18. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

The router pictured I see alot. Taped to the ceiling in Train stations, schools, airports, there used widely.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.