TechSpot

Daisy chaining fans

By crc9786
Sep 21, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Cooler Master CM 690 Case with 3 fans stock and Cooler Master 600W silent pro PSU, ASUS M4A77TD MOBO (one fan plug other than cpu fan)....

I planned on running 7 case fans total 6x120mm and 1x80mm (stock exhaust)

Stock fans all came with 3 pin to Molex adapters but aftermarket are just 3 pin

Would I be better served to get more 3 pin to Molex adapters and daisy chain fans off a couple psu molex plugs, let's say 4 fans on 1, 3 on another, or just spring for a fan controller?

I'm saavy about basic electrical but not sure how many amps these fans use, I know it can't be much, and the PSU is a 40A single rail.

Thanks for any advice.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

The fans are going to be pretty low amp (less than one, likely something like .3), you can daisy chain them and it will be fine. But I think the best solution would be a fan controller. I guess it comes down to how 'nicely' you want to do it. Personally I'd just wire them all off of a molex or 2 and be done with it, but I think a lot of people are going to want to tell you to do it the 'proper' way and use a controller.

Either way will work fine.

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

I'd just chain them all.

4. crc9786

crc9786 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

thanks, that's what I wanted to hear

5. crc9786

It seems like stock heatsinks all get the same review, "it sucks", any suggestions on an after market fan/heatsink, they heaviness seems to be a common problem that can damage the CPU and that's no good. Don't necessarily plan on to OC but it'd be nice to be able to without frying something (and I plan on using Arctic SIlver 5).

6. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Where do you get those reviews, newegg?
    There is nothing wrong with stock heatsinks; they are perfectly capable of holding most processors on overclock provided that there are only minor voltage increases.

7. crc9786

yeah newegg, i will try the stock out first