Damaged Mobo? Damaged CPU? Or something else...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right..
My pc suddenly switched off 2 days ago and never switched on again. I have been testing the system compnents since then with some spare compnents that I have. Here are the facts:
Power Supply doesn't seem to work at all although when connected to the motherboard the light on the mobo switches on.
Moterboard works when CPU is missing.
CPU & PSU fans are clean.
I dont know if I should check something else so I am open to suggestions.

Details of the system.
1 GB RAM
Pentium 4 @ 2GHz
Radeon SE9600
Mainboard ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
160 Gb Maxtor 10

Any help will be much apppreciated

Instantly dying computer = PSU death

Don't let the light on the motherboard throw you off, since it is very likely a dead PSU. Fortunately, it's one of the cheapest things to replace, unless you have some oddball PC case that requires a special sized PSU. Hopefully you just have a standard ATX power supply to replace - swap it out with a known working spare or buy a replacement and try that first. Check back if that doesn't fix it.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "Moterboard works when CPU is missing." I have yet to run into a motherboard that does much of anything without a CPU installed. ;)

RHH

mmm... just to check... when you put the CPU on the MOBO... do you connect the separate CPU power plug from the PSU to the MOBO?

Regards from Panama...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back