Darkest known exoplanet: Alien world is blacker than coal

Archean

Astronomers have discovered the darkest known exoplanet -- a distant, Jupiter-sized gas giant known as TrES-2b. Their measurements show that TrES-2b reflects less than one percent of the sunlight falling on it, making it blacker than coal or any planet or moon in our solar system.

"its exotic atmosphere contains light-absorbing chemicals like vaporized sodium and potassium, or gaseous titanium oxide." Plus the stuff they don't know yet.

Arch, do they say what type of sun it revolves around?

The image originally posted is also a link, fellas.

TrES-2b orbits its star at a distance of only five million kilometres. The star's intense light heats TrES-2b to a temperature of more than 1000 degrees Celsius -- much too hot for ammonia clouds.

TrES-2b orbits the star GSC 03549-02811, which is located about 750 light-years away in the direction of the constellation Draco. (One light-year is about 10 million million kilometres.)

Boy, do I love astronomy. Thanks for the post, Archean.

Okay I see a pattern here, so, guys usually I link the article through the picture (if it is present in the 1st post of the thread). :)

It seems like a good design for footballs at the next world cup, we can name it umm, 'Dark and Deadly' :p

I wonder if any Xenomorphs live there. And yes, I mean to capitalize that "X". This planet is probably too hot for anything we've conceived of, but it is nice to imagine.

images.jpg

Back