Data Execution Prevention closing Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

enforcingrigor

My guess is a virus, the standard DEP is closing every window I try to open, done several virus scans, nothing has come up yet

Ahh, in that case, it's just XP being stupid ;)

I found that it was caused by a certain video that i had, so make a folder and try putting each of your videos in that folder one at a time and by trial and error, find out which one it is :)

Or, you could follow the link I gave earlier, as it has some instructions that might apply to XP as well. If you do what the instructions with pictures say (although it will be a bit different with XP because the Advanced system settings button won't be there, it will be somewhere else ;) Sorry I can't say where, I haven't had XP in a while so can't look I'm afraid) it should fix it. If not, try the suggestions at the top of the page or try the trial and error thing :)

No problem, glad to hear it's sorted.

You should have been ok putting the videos in their own folder so if they're still in your recycle bin, restore them and move them into their own folder, separate from the other videos.

Okay, looks like it isn't fixed after all...
It's now doing it in every folder with a video, and some without, also noticed that occasionally a message will pop-up saying "Dr Watson's Post Debugger has had an unexpected error and is forced to close" or something along those lines. I don't remember installing anything sounding similar to that and am unable to find it anywhere.
Is there a way to turn of DEP?

yes there's a way to turn off DEP, BUT NEVER TO THAT. If you do, the virus's just get worse and you can even corrupt files on your HD.

then you have a system error. zip up your mindumps (4 or 5 of them) and post them as an attachment. More than likely you have driver or CODEC issues.

Help me too!!! :-(

My computer is having the same problem as enforcingrigors. I have Windows XP and I've looked at alot of forums but I'm still not sure how to solve the problem myself... If there is a system error or codec issues (like you said) what do i need to look for in the mindumps?

Somebody Help please!!

After trying to watch a video on line, a message popped up saying security warning. Ran virus scan which indicated a trojan virus. During scan downloaded ad aware update. Computer went into restart and the start page displayed the following:
Data Execution Prevention-Microsoft Windows

To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.

Name Ntfs Volume Maintenance Utiltiy
Publisher Microsoft Corporation

When I click on "what should I do?"

The following pops up:

Windows cannot open help and support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named "help and support"

I can't get any further. I can't open anything? What do I do to fix this?? Tried to start in safe mode and couldn't do that either.

I need directions in simple terms, I'm no computer expert! : )

HELP!!!!!!!!!

windows explorer closed as I was converting flash video

The start button or entire bottom tray was not visible for me to restart. I had to shut computer down via task manager..When I turned it back on I could not get pass the opening screen, can't select escape, F!, F10, nothing..I am so upset. I cannot believe I allowed myself to get in this mess..I was using QMC (quick media converter). Now I can't use recovery disc because I can't select escape to get to boot sequece...I press escape but nothing happens. Is as if the computer is locked up. This a Media Center PC..and I have lots of valuable work that I had not yet backed up..I am ill over this...Can anyone offer me a solution?
TIA cjeureka

I recently is having the same issue after i downloaded some stupid l4d update with viruses in it, which dumps virus files in my temp and IE temp folder, my bet is u're having viruses problem as well, u can try these steps:

1)ctrl-alt delete after log in windows, go to -file-new task-type explorer, tat shud gv back ur windows

2)to solve it, go to safe mode, manually delete temporary internet files and temps dun worry.,...i won't kill ur comp...but u can backup it if u wan...but considering viruses in it

3) from ms-config, disable all startup except thoses needed such as antivirus...etc

4) run a clean scan using ur av program as well as spybo search and destroy(must in safe mode!!)

5) if tat aint fixing it, hook up ur harddisk to anonther comp as secondary and run a scan( ask technichian if dun hv spare comp)

6) last choice, backup ur important file using ur comp or another comp into harddisk or dvd, reformat and reinstall

P.S never use Garena.com update files....they're filled with viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back