X-Technology Box
AMD 64 Socket 939 3200+
Asus A8V Deluxe MB
Seagate 120 GB SATA HDD
2 x 512k memory
XP Home

Host Computer being used to try and recover files:
XP Home on an HP Media Center, no Adminstrator accounts set up

I recently had Windows loading problems which have seemed to come down to the drive being too full. Windows would not boot and the computer did not recognize the drive. We took the dirve out of the computer and connected it to another computer with SATA ports. Booted the host computer and it saw the drive and showed the drive being almost completely full 111.5 gb out of 112 available space - so only 500 MB free space. OOPS Almost all of the data on the drive is video files from my son's basketball games that I was working with to create a highligh DVD for the team. Out of 111.5 GB on the drive, there was probably 5-6 GB accesible to move off the drive to, the rest is in my accounts.

We are trying to recover the files using the host computer and my external 250 GB storage drive, so I was able to pull of all data from non-Adminstrator accounts in the HDD files, but could not see any files in my Adminstrator account - (My Name/My Documents) We ran Windows defragment but it could not access those files shown in the administrator account. If we click on the top folder in the tree with my name, a message pops up saying access denied. Defragment can't move them either, so we can't complete defragment or move the files off the drive to save them.

Any suggestions on how to bypass or remove the security control?

Yes this can be done, and usually entails many trips to the security and permissions page.
Since your host PC is XP Home, you'll have to log in to Safe Mode into the "real" administrator account in order to get the security options.
Then you'll have to change ownership on the said folders to your current account, making sure to propogate to all subfolders. Then when ownership is properly changed, you have to set full access to the "everyone" user group and propogate that.

The process can be somewhat tedious.
This thread should provide you with the details you need:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8914.html

Feel free to ask any more questions about the process.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back