Database contents from SMF forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macgyver56

Looking for a forum guru. (Not TechSpot forum.)

Howdy!

I'm sticking this under the "networking" description, even though it's not. I'm searching for someone knowledgeable with forum software and possibly servers that run bulletin boards.

Situation: I'm a member and one-time Moderator at a small to medium sized bulletin board (1200 or so members and a ton of discussions we want to preserve). Our provider seems to be in the midst of doing a vanishing act, and we're having difficulty getting the database out of them in order to move to a new provider.

Question: Does anyone know if there is a way to save the contents of the board from "our side" (internet side) of the process if we can't get the database from the people running the server? We're operating on SMF 1.0.3. (I've got a horrible sinking feeling that the answer to this is going to be 'no'.)

Thanks for any brain storms.

M56

SMF has a backup feature in the administration interface. Just use that. Might be a good idea to read the SMF homepage for some gotchas.

Thank you. I'll head for SMF right away. I'm a techno-***** when it comes to the forum software, so I wasn't aware that was there (the backup feature, I mean).

M56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back