DDR2 and DDR3 memory support for the GA-X38-DS4?

By Classic Rock
Jul 4, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I thought that the only motherboard that supported DDR2 and DDR3 was the GA-EP35C-DS3R, but when I was reading the overview for the GA-X38-DS4, this is what I found:

"Intel® X38 Express Chipset
    The Intel® X38 Express Chipsets support the latest multi-core processors with FSB 1066MHz, including the upcoming 45nm processors, with its record breaking performance and greater energy efficiency. Intel® X38 chipset, with optimized system memory capabilities, chipset over-speed protection removed for maximum overclocking, providing faster boot and application load times and additional power savings. Intel® X38 chipset also offer options for both DDR2 and DDR3 memory support[/U], providing scalable options for users wanting to take advantage of higher memory performance with less power consumption to run next generation applications such as high-definition video and 3D visualization."

THe above was taken from the following website:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2736

So, can anyone tell me, from personal experience or their own exstensive and rock-solid knowledge, if this board can take DDR2 as well as DDR3?
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,282   +24

The board only supports DDR2. While the chipset may support both DDR2 & DDR3, it's upto motherboard manufacturers whether or not to design motherboards with support for only one, or both.
  3. Classic Rock

Classic Rock TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 92

Thankyou Rage.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.