DDR3 boards and DDR5 cards

By Lestadt
Feb 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I was recently thinking about upgrading my graphics card from my GTX 460 to something like a 650 and went to Microcenter.com to check out the products available. I found that their are minimal amount of choices for video cards as mainly everything they had was DDR5. So I started looking at motherboards and found that all of the ones I saw were DDR3 boards. Can you use a DDR5 card in a DDR3 board? I'm still a newbie to building pc's all help is appreciated.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,276   +177

Yes. The type of RAM used in a graphics card is independent of the type of RAM the motherboard uses.
  3. Lestadt

Lestadt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the info.
  4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

GPU's use GDDR memory. :) It sits on the actual card and so doesn't require any different slots on the motherboard.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,061   +1,179

Add-in cards are only dependent on the card slot specifications. I've never seen a card that was dependent on other system hardware specification.
  6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

While not exactly the same thing you're talking about, I'm gonna mention it to avoid confusion: you need to make sure PSU can support a high-end GPU! :)
    cliffordcooley likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.