Dead cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i need a answer about my cpu. i just built a new system. i connected vga card, ram, cpu AND HD and turn it on, ALL FANS WHERE SPINNING, BUT THE NO VIDEO CAME UP. I TRIED CLEARLY THE CMOS THAT DID NOT HELP. I NEED TO KNOW THAT IF MY CPU WENT DEAD. LIKE I SAID WHEN I POWER IT UP NOTHING BUT THE FANS WERE SPINNING AND NO VIDEO SIGNAL AND NO BEEPS!!!! PLEASE REPLY. OR COULD IT BE MOBO

Need more info.

Is there a 4-pin 12v connector on the motherboard? Newer mainboards will do precisely as you have mentioned if you neglect to also plug in the 4-pin 12v power lead into the motherboard.

Also, try arranging the memory around or reseating it. Ensure you also have the case speaker connected properly as many hardware problems will produce beeps out the speaker to help diagnose what may be at fault.

I'd take the mobo out, reset your CMOS using the jumpers (read your manual to find the correct jumpers) and set it on a box beside the case. Remove everything but the following:

-CPU/heatsink
-one stick of ram
-if you don't have integrated graphics, then insert the graphics card (with PSU connection if needed)
-PSU connections to the motherboard (usually two)
-if your case has a speaker, connect it to the motherboard
-connect the monitor to the graphics card.

then use a screwdriver to quickly short the two pins normally connected to the case's power on switch. This will attempt to turn on your system. You should be able to get into your bios this way.

If not, do you get any beeps? Does your motherboard have LED lights? What color (before and after shorting the pins).

If you need further help, probably a good idea to post your full system specs as well.

The reason I am asking you to take your motherboard out and try, is because there is a high possibility that your motherboard is touching the case somewhere and shorting out. That is one possible cause of a POST failure (no beeps).

By removing it from the case (and following the steps above) it helps to rule out as much as possible (the goal of troubleshooting).

Well, I think you may have found your problem then. You need all the standoffs (as many as there are screwholes in your motherboard).

Without them, your motherboard will touch the case, and POST will fail. It is actually quite dangerous to your parts so I would unplug immediately. There is a chance that your motherboard will be permanently damaged.

Usually no beep means one of the following:

1. dead cpu
2. dead motherboard
3. motherboard shorting out on the case
4. parts not seated properly
5. ram issues (although usually you get a beep error here, some systems will give a no beep for faulty/incompatable ram)
6. dead psu
7. no speaker/speaker not connected properly

Well I Put The Mobo On The A Box With The Cpu Fan And Heatsink, Ram, And Video Card. Power It On And No Beeps And All Fans Were Spinning Same Results As Last Time So What Can It Be Cpu Dead Or Mobo Dead? Give Me A Reply Thanks

And Also I Check To See If The Cpu Is Getting Heat So Far It Not Heatting Up, Should It Heat Up Fast When Power Is Supplied?

are you certain that your RAM is compatible with your CPU/mobo? try each stick of RAM independently and in different slots

are you certain that your CPU is compatible with your mobo and BIOS version?

although it is possible, it is very unlikely to be a dead CPU. a bad CPU, mobo, or RAM should all give error beeps if they are bad.

my guess would be a bad or insufficient power supply. what brand/model is your power supply? how many amps on the +12v? PSU total wattage means nothing, the +12v amperage is the most important factor in determining if your PSU can handle your system.

my mobo is jetway gt dual 754 and 939. i tried different ram and still no beeps no video at all. my psu is 450

that's an interesting mobo, from what I read about it it is set by default to socket-754. this means that your RAM has to be in the slots (2 slots total) next to the 754 socket.

***if you are using a socket-939 CPU, then your RAM has to be the slots (4 slots total) next to the 939 socket, and all the jumpers need to be moved (both data and power distribution)

Given the specific mobo you're using, it would seem likely that all your components are fine, you just may not have it set up properly (a mobo like that can be confusing)

We need some more specs:
1. CPU model (939 or 754)
2. RAM model (brand and model#)
3. PSU specs ("my PSU is 450" says nothing about it, like I said in my post above total PSU wattage means nothing. what brand is it and how many amps does it provide on the +12v)

Well Now I Just Blown The Fuse On 450 Psu So Now I Cant Do Any More Testing. I Already Order Another Cpu To See If That Help. And Now I Looking For A New Mobo.

vpu3 said:
Well Now I Just Blown The Fuse On 450 Psu So Now I Cant Do Any More Testing
the amperage info is written on the spec label on the side if the PSU case.

how did you blow a fuse? please tell me you didn't open it up and short it out :eek:

vpu3 said:
I Already Order Another Cpu To See If That Help. And Now I Looking For A New Mobo.
again, these are unlikely to be the problem. you should eliminate the more likely causes before buying a new CPU and mobo. most new build problems are caused by human error and not faulty components.

in the last couple posts I asked you certain questions in order to help you diagnose the problem, yet you seem unwilling to answer them. I'm afraid that I can't help you any more unless you help me (and others) understand what you are using and how you set it up.

no i switch into 230 then power it up, then the psu went puff. and the power went off. then took apart the psu and saw that i blew the fuse. luckly for me.

well the cpu was dead after all. got another cpu and it work. but when i put the mobo in the case with all the standoffs and power it on the power comes on then power off again. it was work fine before i put it in the case. help!!!!

Well Now I Took The Mobo Back Out Of The Case Work Fine. Put Back In The Case With All Stand Off Tighten It Down Motherboard Died. I Think The Case Kill My Mobo. And The Way I Put My Stand Offs. Luckily I Got Another Mobo On The Way.

Bad Mobo= No Power At All
Bad Cpu= Case Fan, Cpu Fan, Power Fan, No Beep No Video. This Sums It Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back