Debian & Bootrecord Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Ify

I have been trying to install linux Debian... I got all the cd's and everything but when i put them in and tell it to boot from cd all it does is put up 1 message from lillo for about a milisecond... all i understand is the word lilo then it goes into the duel bootup thingy that i got from linux mandrake...

Any ideas? If you could could u tell me how to reset my master boot record so i can try again? anyone have linux Debian? i heard it was one of the best to get

Debian is probably one of the most stable, though maybe not user friendly.

It sounds like the your machine is not booting from the CDROM possibly. Try with another bootable disk and see if it boots (ie. an Knoppix disk or something). If it does boot from another CD, you may have a bad burn of the Debian disk. Verify the MD5 of your download and burn it again.

If your new to linux, I would suggest a different distro. Right now I'm hooked on VectorLinux. Its based on Slackware and is pretty full featured.

That is why i chose Debain... I am not new to linux I wanted to try a more stable and perhaps a better distro because I heard so many good things about it.... My other boot disks run fine I know thats not the problem maybe your right about the disk thing but i hope not I downloaded the iso's like i did Linux Mandrake... Which is almost as unstable as windows so i wanted to try a more stable one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back