Decision on a course

I'm a techie who's struggling to get into a role and prove my worth. I've recently got the opportunity to have an online course with the local learn direct centre paid and set up for me.
So I was wondering which course was the best one to go for and which one is more desirable to employers. I already have the CompTIA A+
I was looking at either the:
  • Cisco CCNA 640-802
  • Windows Server 2003 Administration MCSA/MCSE 70-290
  • Windows XP Professional MCSE 70-270
If you could choose one of these, what would you go for if you were in my situation? I know it wouldn't be a full MCSE but I always believed it was good to have at least one exam on your CV....or am I being delusional?

The CompTIA Network+ 2009 is also available, but I didn't consider this at first as I always thought the Cisco and MCSEs were more desired. If anyone think this is better and why, I'll also consider this.

Thanks.

>Server 2003 Administration MCSA/MCSE 70-290 would take you a long way . . .

VERY GOOD question :) Truth is, NO. I started in computers long before there were such courses and
it was all OJT (On the Job Training) - - school of hard knocks. I recommend the ADMIN course as there are
lots of good concepts and 'best practices' that can be applied to other jobs. With newer methodologies
and technologies, you will acquire a good background and tons of specific skills.

Enjoy!

answering from my own personal point-of-view....

In April, 2014 Microsoft stops all support for XP. I'd expect any companies still using it to migrate away by end 2013. So I think the XP course is of little value

In July, 2015 MS stops all support for Windows Server 2003. Tho I think this situation is somewhat different then XP
> There's still 3 years (an extra year's usefulness over XP)
> I think having some knowledge of Sever 2003 would help in later learning Windows Server 2008. (fyi.. Windows Server 8 yet to be released but I think will be within a year)
So IMO I think this course would still be helpful

I don't really know anything about Cisco Networks to compare to Server 2003 but my gut feel is that Server 2003 would probably provide info that covers a wider user base and would probably be more helpful. But that's only my guess, can't say for certain

If you're taking these courses for instructions on HOW-TO, then imo, you might as well get pickup some books and save
all the class time. Taking that approach will have you looking for classes on Win/7, Win/8, .... Win/N.
The big return on ANY class is in the concepts and those are applicable to every release of anything.

For example, the concepts of Backup&Restore have technology components and storage+documentation components.
This quickly raises the ideal of having Off-Site storage, which raises the question, Should we implement Remote Backups off site?

How about the principles of Fault Tolerance(FT) -- what's required? Is FT a sufficient solution for Disaster Recovery?

I totally agree, Windows Server 2003 Administration MCSA/MCSE 70-290 is best added value out of your shortlist, but perhaps also consider COMPTIA Linux+, to show an excellent grounding in all distros incl. servers (more OS versatility!) :)

I would like to second what Zoltan has said, and that might be for you to go for Windows Server 2003 Administration MCSA/MCSE! It is the best value of the options that you have presented and will give you the building blocks to take you far. I know back in 2001/2002 when I got my [FONT=arial]S[/FONT]erver 2000 Administration MCSE, it pretty much immediately opened some doors for me in the computer world. So if Server 2000 was one of the corner stones to my success, I can only imagine the success you will see with the Server 2003 stuff!

Back