Declined Battery life on Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmandan22

I own a DSC-P32 Sony Digital Camera that was bought new a little less than a year ago. The camera could normally fit 90 full quality 3.2mp photos out of 2 NiMH AA batteries. For some reason I can only get about 25 photos now. There have been no changes to the cameras settings, and I have bought a new NiHM re-charger and batteries, Still only about 30 photos. Any Ideas about what is causing this problem? The only thing I can think of is I took it up to the mountians, there was snow there. But It was a horrible season and it wasnt even cold! (16C) or about 60F which is well within the tempature recommondations. Well, all help apreciated. Any questions/clarifications post here and I will awnser them.
Thanks,
Dan

Is it possible that replacing the batteries has made the camera reset to the default settings?

If not, have you tried reformatting the cameras memory.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Sony has never been the greatest about battery life, at least in my experience. I usually turn off the LCD to get the most out of the camera.

howard_hopkinso said:
Is it possible that replacing the batteries has made the camera reset to the default settings?

If not, have you tried reformatting the cameras memory.

Regards Howard
Replacing the main AA bateries doesnt set it back to defualt. That is done by pressing reset, Which next time you turn the camera on asks you for MM/DD/YY and Time settings agian. I have reformatted the memory and tried a diffrent card, I dont think that is the problem.

poertner_1274 said:
Sony has never been the greatest about battery life, at least in my experience. I usually turn off the LCD to get the most out of the camera.

Thats not the problem. The problem is, say 2 months ago I could get 90 photos out of 2 NiHM rechargables. Today I got 30. Same settings (defualt factory). I have tried diffrent batteries/charges/mem cards. I know the battery life is limited, but I do you get less time out of batteries as your camera ages?

have you switched the type of batteries you're using? Using alkaline batteries will severely shoreten battery life. Use photo batteries. If you have rechargable batteries, they develop a memory over time. You MUST deep cycle (completely drain) the batteries before recharging them, at least once a month.

Tedster said:
have you switched the type of batteries you're using? Using alkaline batteries will severely shoreten battery life. Use photo batteries. If you have rechargable batteries, they develop a memory over time. You MUST deep cycle (completely drain) the batteries before recharging them, at least once a month.
I use NiHM's they dont have the 'memory' effect alkalines and nickel cadmium's do. I dont think anyone here is understanding what is really happening to the camera. A fresh battery drains faster, than it did 2 months ago, why?. I just dont understand why i would be getting this decrease in battery life.

The only other thing I can think of is the camera is faulty in some way.

Before you dismiss this as rubbish I would like to say that some time ago this happened to me only my camera was eating batteries for fun usually overnight. Turned out it was the camera. Got it replaced and no problems since.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back