TechSpot

Default gateway not available, constantly dropping Internet / network

By seekandfind
Oct 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a wireless Toshiba latpop 1 1/2 years old, running Windows 7 that I have been connecting with at my college for a year and a half with no problems. This same laptop connects to my Fios wireless at home with no problems. My trouble started 6 weeks ago and I have been trying to solve this problem ever since day and night! Ugh

Start computer - I see their college network. I chose it to connect or sometimes the checkmark is there to chose automatically. It will not connect. I get the yellow triagle with words limited connectivity, no internet access. If I use the troubleshooter. I get no default gateway. It is fixed. I sign in on their log in page and within 20 seconds it drops me every time. I mean everytime. Not just sometimes.

--I have spoken with their local IT people to no avail.

-- uninstalled any programs that I put in in the past 3 months.

-- uninstalled my firewall

--shut off windows firewall

--reinstalled my Realtek Nic card with 3 or 4 different versions, rolling, upgrading, and installing brand new one from net

--unchecked power save on the Nic card

-- flushed the dns cache

-- ipconfig, release renew

-- ran the troubleshooter at least 100 times.

-- repair install of windows 7

-- ran 4 antivirus program, malware programs, all clean

-- added all windows updates, although most had been in anyway

--registry cleaner, 2 of them.

--checked with IT that my log in is correct and not blocked

--deleted all networks and setting up connection to college and fios again.

-- unchecking IPV6 on the Nic card.

plus many other tries that I can't remember.

Several of the above do give me a temporary connection to the network but it drops in 20 seconds everytime.

I cannot get on the network without the troubleshooter then I get 20 seconds and I am off.

Please help. I have asked everyone I know. Someone here has to know what to do.

Thank you.

FYI

I spoke to sort of a network adminstrator today at the college. He said he has heard of this problem from about 3 other people and coincidentally we all have Toshiba laptops. Anybody with a Toshiba laptop having this problem? I was working fine on their network and now I cannot get on or stay on. What could they have changed at their end that my laptop doesn't like? I don't know these things.

2. humblechap

humblechap TS Rookie Posts: 19

try a different wlan driver. or try a completely different wlan pci-e card in your laptop. boot off of a ubuntu disk and see if you can connect to the network stably from there.

3. seekandfind

seekandfind TS Rookie Topic Starter

"try a different wlan driver. or try a completely different wlan pci-e card in your laptop. boot off of a ubuntu disk and see if you can connect to the network stably from there. "

I don't know what a wlan driver is. If it is for my realtek pci card then I changed that 3 times.

To change the pci card would involve repair by a tech that I would have no idea about how to get yet.

Unbuntu don't know what that is or where to get it? I thought it was a bare bones operating system.

I connect fine at home and the library and friends homes. That makes me think it is not the card itself.

Love any more ideas you might have.