Delayed POST time

Since i built my new machine i have been experiencing some strange boot and post issues. Basically when i press the power switch i can hear all of the fans turn on and the hard drive start to spin yet it takes at least 15 seconds for the post screen to appear on the monitor. When it does eventually appear its just like the normal post screen with no beeps or errors. Also it seems that the CPU fan has a hard time starting up. It tries to spin yet stops when i start the computer. When the CPU fan begins properly spinning the computer finally posts.

My last machine had a practically instant post screen, is this normal?

Also this may be completely unrelated yet when i open up a program that requires a UAC prompt, the monitor sometimes goes completely blank for around 4 seconds before returning to the prompt. The computer has not frozen as if i use the arrow keys to accept whilst the screen is blank, the program will start even before the display has returned.

Funny thing is this does not happen again after it has occured once. All others are instant and completely normal. This also occurs on shutdown where the screen goes blank before returning to the 'shutting down' screen, sometimes having skipped the 'logging off screen'. Again this is weird as after the UAC thing has happened this wont happen at all.

All recommendations or replies are welcome,

Thanks in advance

Specs -

AMD Phenom II X4 955 (not overclocked)
Gigabyte GA - 890fxa UD5 Mobo
4GB Corsair RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5830
WD Caviar black HDD
Coolermaster 600 watt PSU

It's not normal. So I take it the starting problem occurs after the PC has been off for awhile and has cooled down. Before starting the PC try shutting off the power supply for a couple of minutes at the switch at the back of the power supply or you could unplug it. Switch it back on and see if it starts.

If this works consistently, you can use this for awhile as a workaround but I think it means a bad motherboard.

Thanks for your reply.

Interestingly enough the problem occurs when the PC has just shutdown. If a perform a restart from in windows then the post is as it should be. If however i shut down and turn straight back on, the problem occurs.

I think i may have found the cause of the Uac prompt black screen. It seems to only occur when the screen turns off due to being idle for a certain amount of time. If the monitor is left on, the problem does not occur however as soon as the screen gets put into standby by windows the problem occurs only once and does not happen again until the monitor gets turned off again. Any suggestions would be appreciated as this gets very annoying and the monitor standby is something that i use all of the time.

Thanks in advance

Try shutting off the power supply anyway. See if that changes anything.

Back