Deleted file recovery software that will work on network drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubar

Hello,

at work I have deleted some files from a network drive. I have tried recuva, undelete and one or one or two others. they will not let me scan a network drive.

It isn't a major problem - and it would be quicker to recreate the items that to manually get the drive out and connect it locally - but is there free software that would let me recover deleted files over a network?

thanks

gubar

I don't see how it is technically possible to restore data on a mapped network drive from a client computer.

To recover files, you need access to the raw data contained on the disk. The believe the file system you work with on your mapped network drive is 'virtualized': It is a 'made up' file system. This is the same reason a remote volume with an otherwise unreadable file system (EXT3, for example) can be read and written to over a network by a Windows computer. All of the file manipulation is translated through the SMB sharing protocol, not directly via the file system.

In a nutshell, because it's not the same exact file system as the *real* volume... it just can't effectively be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back