deleted PCI modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyjeff

I was trying to figure out why a T-mobile hotspot kept popping up when I tried to get in the internet, so I decided that I had to delete the Tmobile software that I must have installed. What I ended up doing was deleting my PCI modem hardward by mistake. I don't see it in the recycle bin, so I presume I should probably get it back somehow. I don't have my install disk with me, is there any other way of restoring the deleted PCI modem? This from a self-described knucklehead.....jerseyjeff

If the modem is in the PCI slot and you reboot it should show as a 'found new hardware' and then want drivers - does it?

Yes, when I reboot it is looking for a driver. Not sure what you mean about the modem in the slot. But it is looking for a driver and then it doesn't find one. I told it to go on the windows site to find it but it says it is unable to do so. thx

If that is your ONLY connection to the NET, then of course it can't.

When you say PCI, don't you mean a PCI slot modem? Or am I amiss here. In which case, what kind of modem is it? One for a laptop PCI insert?

I went into control panels, and add/delete programs, and I found one that said a kind of modem, like Conexant HCF V.90 56K or something like that and I clicked "change/delete" thinking it would give me a choice and I could see more of what it was, and instead it deleted the thing. I don't use this modem to connect to the internet, I use a wireless or a broadband modem. So I can go online without the PCI modem, but I have a feeling I should replace it.
I don't know if I have a modem in a modem slot, but either way I don't really need or use a 56k modem. -thx

You need the original install discs that came with the computer, or you need to go online with a friend's computer to download the modem drivers for your model of computer... use the info you have: Conexant HCD V.90 56K, a very good modem... you will find drivers at your manufacturer site, or from www.driverguide.com or from the modem maker.

OK, but I'm not sure what the name of it was. I can go back to the discs. If I do, how do I go about singling out the install that I need? thx

Conexant HCF v.90 is all you need, but you can take the modem out and write down all the numbers and letters on the biggest chip, as well as the white letters written on the top front of the board.
If you want to send me what you discover to canyonlands@gmail.com, I can help you discover what driver is appropriate.
But if you know the computer brand and model, you can usually find the driver at the manufacturer's web site. Usually what you need is the service tag or serial number on the label at the back of the computer.
Any install discs you have will have helper info. We can help you figger it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back