Deleting everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daner

My friend would like to delete EVERYTHING on his comp... like starting over again... anyone know how to do it? beside uninstalling everything manually :D

Daner said:
My friend would like to delete EVERYTHING on his comp... like starting over again... anyone know how to do it? beside uninstalling everything manually :D

Everything !!!... Then what does he want to do with it then, use it as a night light maybe, ummm can't think of anything else to use a blank PC for, oh except for playing solitaire maybe..

But to answer your question, you could seriously screw the PC up if you just delete everything willy nilly, you need to use the add remove section of control panel.

You could just reinstall the OS , thats the definition of starting Over..lol

Boot up with your XP disk, and delete the partition(s) and then re-create them. Then the next step before the reinstallation begins is the new partitions are formatted. That erases them.

That will work, but I'm not sure what you have avaiable and what your overall goal is, if you clairfy that then you can get a better answer.

he downloads too much junk >.<

he just want to clean up hes computer...

just like when you buy a new one...

(hes kinda weird)

So he wants to revert to out of the box condition if so, They may have to boot from a OEM disk or a Manufacturers disk (like ghosting) If you have the make and model visit the PC makers website unless its a custom PC then a boot from the XP or whatever disk will do the job but just make sure he saves any important files first and make a not of any drivers he may need.

Either reinstall the O/S by disk or if its a Dell and is 2 years old or newwer just restart and hold ctrl + F11 at start up and it will be just like brand new

a standard reformat does not wipe the drive
need a bootable disc with disk manager like from seagate(free)
it will 0 fill the drive warni'n this talkes awhile the bigger the drive the longer
hr's maybe

your friendly seagate reseller ---->link

GeekieNick101 said:
Either reinstall the O/S by disk or if its a Dell and is 2 years old or newwer just restart and hold ctrl + F11 at start up and it will be just like brand new

Is that how you do it? b/c i've been wondering how to reformat my Dell Inspiron E1505 (purchased in May 2006) so just press ctrl and F11? on bootup all is says is "www.Dell.com"

...AMD

Yes you would have system resotre, first you would turn the computer on and then hit restart and hold in ctrl then f11 so you dont miss it when it goes to the first dell logo load page becuase it wont work when it goes into windows, My dell laptop i got December 2005 has it so does my E310 that was got in march but was defected and got a system exchange in Auguest 2006 so yeah they all have, ever sinc 2004 i ithnk it was dell made it standard

Thank you very much, b/c in the Dell Documentation they kept showing two CDs that i should have gotten and i never got them.

Thanks a million:)

...AMD

Your welcome, usualy they dont include the restore disks with Dell systems since 2004, if you want them you have to pay. When I got mine it was only like 10 dollars or so thats cheap. But I dont even use the disks I didnt know how amazing there resotre works it takes like 8 mintues and its just like you turned it on for the first time. I know when the tech came to my house and put a new hard drive in I lost the ctrl + F11 feature and it took over an hour to restore it. First you have to install the O/S then you have to install all the drivers. So yeah I tihnk this is one good thing Dell did right

GeekieNick101 said:
Your welcome, usualy they dont include the restore disks with Dell systems since 2004, if you want them you have to pay. When I got mine it was only like 10 dollars or so thats cheap. But I dont even use the disks I didnt know how amazing there resotre works it takes like 8 mintues and its just like you turned it on for the first time. I know when the tech came to my house and put a new hard drive in I lost the ctrl + F11 feature and it took over an hour to restore it. First you have to install the O/S then you have to install all the drivers. So yeah I tihnk this is one good thing Dell did right

Until hard disk failure as you mentioned, Dell should send out discs aswell they are just being cheapskates :(

dazzer9535 said:
Until hard disk failure as you mentioned, Dell should send out discs aswell they are just being cheapskates :(

well you should really backup drivers etc but yeah they are cheapskates, but dell are not the only ones it seems to be something others have chosen to do.

Well I tihnk it is kind of a very ncie thing to restore your system very fast in like 8 minutes its a very nice convience but yes they are cheapskates but my first Dell I bought didnt have restore disks and this is before I knew of the Ctrl + 11 I called them and said why doesnt this have restore disks becuase all my other computers did and they were nice and sent them out for me free of charge, but my second dell while in the ordering process I did pay extra for them, but all I think I read it somewhere or sometihng that another reason Dell does the Crl + F11 thing is becuase a lot of customers loose the resotre disks

GeekieNick101 said:
I think I read it somewhere or sometihng that another reason Dell does the Crl + F11 thing is becuase a lot of customers loose the resotre disks

Its because Dell dont want to pay for the discs and postage fees.

As Tedster said another good reason to stay away from Dell (Trotter) :D

The only PC company that includes OS disks free of charge is Gateway. HP/Compaq used to a few years ago, but now you must pay $10.00 for them, but GW includes them free of charge.

...AMD

we dont really get this... we read something about writing format C: in DOS but its that a way too?

by the way he doesnt have a windows XP CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back