Dell 4700 won't power up, orange light

By IronFront
Dec 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A few months ago I bought a Dell 4700 off of a friend for $30. It worked great up until a few weeks ago. Everything was normal, I turned it off, but then the next day it would not turn on. Instead of the two normal green lights in the front, there was one orange one. Not blinking. I tried removing cards, RAM, CD and DVD Drives, and even replacing the hard drive. Nothing worked. I now believe it is either the motherboard or power supply causing trouble, but as much as I would like to, I barely have enough money for one. So I really need to know what's wrong before I spend any money. Any ideas?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. triztan

triztan Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

Take out the ram hdd, cd and dvd-r's keep your monitor mouse and key board, and go throw everything else off a cliff. It might not sound productive, but due to it being a dell, which are designed, different so you have to buy direct from dell, whose parts are mostly unreliable in my experience. A new mb processor chasis and power supply can probably be purchased for 200$ the rest of the parts you removed can be used to build a system.
  4. IronFront

IronFront Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I don't think you understood, I don't need to rebuild the system, just replace 1 non-working part.

Anyway, it was the power supply. I used your tip and plugged in another power supply and it worked just fine. Found a new one, same as the one inside, for $30.
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Thanks for the update :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.