Dell 4700c Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, n00b here,

I know my way around a computer pretty well, but when it comes to locking me out of the OS (Windows XP) I'm about as useless as can be.

I tried to boot up my computer yesterday morning and it was quickly sent to the Windows Blue Screen telling me I had an Unmountable_Boot_Volume. I have not recently downloaded any software onto my system but I did force the shut down before this error message appeared.

I ran a Boot to Utility Partition and I had two failures. This should be correct.

SATA Disk S/N = WD-WCAM96921838 - Read Test
Test Results: FAIL
Error Code 0F00:0244
Msg: Block 6675903: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

SATA Disk S/N = WD-WCAM96921838 - Verify Test
Test Results: FAIL
Error Code 0F00:1A44
Msg: Block 6675903: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

I talked to Dell Support, they want me to renew my warranty for $40 before they tell me how to proceed with fixing it. I talked to an ITS Help Desk on my campus and they said it's most likely that I am the proud owner of a bad hard drive and they reccommened going along with Dell.

I just wanted to get a second opinion on this, I'd rather not spend the $40 but if its the cheapest option I will.

One more thing, my product never came with any Resource CDs, so if in them lay the solution, I might be SOL.

Thanks in advance!

if your hard drives are less than 5 yrs old, there is probably a warranty on them from the manufacturer.

dell4700c

your help desk is correct I had the same problem it was my harddrive I was lucky I was still on warrenty they came out and replaced the drive.you could replace the drive yourself. also watchout your usb ports are next mine will stop working after about 10 mins I then have to disconnect the device and reconnect it to have it work for a few more minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back