TechSpot

Dell announces trio of all-in-one desktops, challenges 27-inch iMac

By Jos
May 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Dell is refreshing its line of all-in-one desktops with three new models sporting 20-, 23- and 27-inch display sizes. The larger of the bunch matches Apple's popular iMac with a...

Read the whole story

2. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

Why no AMD APU's for the budget lines ?

3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +99

Slick design, looking forward to its development.

4. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 311   +11

@captainawesome: because they're stupid, trying to match the specs of Apple and maybe a bit of Intel fanboyism at Dell.

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 892   +133

I dig it

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,157   +739

Good question. If I remember right, AMD's integrated graphics actually performed better than Intel's. But that might be from Sandy Bridge, not Ivy Bridge.

7. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

hmm I see they are overpriced too

8. captainawesome, "Base specs include a 2.8GHz, quad-core i5-3450S with Intel HD 4000 graphics, along with an optional upgrade to Nvidia's GeForce GT 640M GPU with 2GB of GDDR5 memory."

If you check even the most basic gaming benchmarks, it becomes obvious why Dell didn't bother with AMD's APU. Anyone who even remotely cares about graphics performance will spend a little more and get at least a 640M, which slaughters Trinity:

However, the CPU performance would still be lacklustre with the A10. It would have made sense if the price range was $500, but for $700 it makes no sense to go with such a slow CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5865/laptop-graphics-face-off-diablo-iii-performance/3

and

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile...iew-Kepler-Arrives-Mobile/Performance-Verdict

Most people are smart enough to see that Trinity targets the utmost budget systems and has no place in $700+ systems. Its performance is simply not fast enough for games, while the CPU performance is still lacklustre. Of course, that's the whole point of Trinity - budget laptops.

9. Gars

Gars TS Enthusiast Posts: 228

this treat cos me to do a little investigation for prices (in my country)
    so
    I got P5K PRO with cd2duo E8600 / nVidia 9600 GTS/ 4gigs of ram + Win7/32bits and
    im just *** king (dont bother with spelling )

why QX9775 costs ~700 euro?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.