TechSpot

Dell bios upgrade

By mspacman1979
Dec 27, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i am running A03 on my c640. i plan to upgrade the ram soon. i need to update to version A10. my bios is set with an admin password. do i need this password to update the bios/upgrade ram?

i need this answer so i can then formulate the proper plan of action using the fantastic tools on this site.

thanks folks. any help is much, much, much appreciated.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

You are best to remove the password first
    But if you have the ability to boot from a floppy or CD to update your Bios, then it is likely that the password may be removed during the process

To be certain you could download the dst-cd.iso
    http://www.download.centre4service.com/software1.html
    password: smellyalater
    And remove the Administrator password first

3. mspacman1979

mspacman1979 TS Rookie Topic Starter

you are truly a friend. thank you for being so prompt. i would love to find some way i can contribute here. hope this works!

this is a little scary, simply because i'm not sure exactly the ramifications of what i'm doing. i can understand it easily enough, and would be perfectly willing to read through anything offered on the subject.

is there a place that describes what this is and such? i'd even take a page number and thread name. i don't want to have to reinstall my os or anything and guess i'm not sure what removing/changing service tag does. i assume it allows me to change my admin password/bios but is there any caveats?

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.