Dell computer freezes w/ LED spazzing like crazy

Hakushira

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron that I bought in November - not a Black Friday computer lol - but have exchanged it 2 times since for the same computer. I did so just last night. I pretty much was installing and uninstalling stuff that I wanted/etc.

Those programs, if it helps any are: Google Chrome, Maplestory, SAI Paint Tool, Constant Guard, Norton - in that order.

The things I uninstalled were: Dell Stage (a hub where you can access your most visited media), TrustedID, GuardedID, IDT, Dell Back-up software (b/c it annoys you with subscriptions and notices to back-up your files. More on this later.), then Constant Guard (b/c I only wanted Norton).

Note: On my previous computers I had Dell Safe Back-up and it still froze.

Anyway, I left Maplestory up and running all night and when I woke up I was sad to see that it froze yet again.

The other times that my computer froze was when I was either browsing on Chrome or drawing on SAI. And those times I had my computer on for at least 4-6 hours straight. This recent one was from midnight to 8 in the morning. And it's a new computer! Please help...

Specs: Dell Inspiron 15R
2nd Gen i5 Intel Processor
4GB 640GB HD
Windows 7

Any input or any form of insight would be helpful and awesome so thanks in advance,
Hakushira

Attachments

• IMG_6440.jpg
    IMG_6440.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4
Since I made this post I contacted Dell Support via chat and they flashed the BIOS, re-installed the Intel HD Driver one day, then did a system restore the next. Yet the problem still persists. However, when it does it now, it doesn't make that odd clicking noise anymore. My computer sounds like it would be functioning normally - you know, save for the LED screen.

I'm expecting a call from them today to talk about the computer. On the chat sessions though, they thought it's a problem with the software I have because they couldn't find anything wrong in their hardware scans. They even thought it was a corrupted registry file and the system restore would fix it.

If the software problem is correct then Chrome is incompatible with Windows 7? Of course Maplestory does... but for every program I have listed in the original post - are those programs somehow messsing up my computer? I think that's bs honestly because how am I supposed to have this computer in the first place if I can't have it the way I want it? :\

I apologize for the rant but I'm out of ideas of what could be wrong.

Chrome should work fine and don't use Norton, it just makes things worse with a troubled computer. Once you get things working, download free Microsoft Security Essentials... Dell is known for using crappy power supplies, change it if you can

What's wrong with Norton? And how can it affect a new computer. :\ Can you elaborate please? I've never heard of Norton causing problems on a computer.

Update

So just recently I called Dell and they updated some drivers and the BIOS - though the BIOS was already recent - and they said that my computer shouldn't experience anymore problems. I have a day till they check up on it again and if it isn't resolved then they'd call a technician to come over and replace the motherboard and/or video card. :\ They were on speakerphone so this is what I heard. I'll give more details tomorrow if that happens...

What's wrong with Norton? And how can it affect a new computer. :\ Can you elaborate please? I've never heard of Norton causing problems on a computer.

Dell gets paid to put Norton on their computers, but so does HP. Norton can interfere with internal Windows protection, like Windows firewall and Windows Defender. That's why when, under Norton, a problem Windows computer is much harder to troubleshoot. If you think Norton is good, think again! Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't interfere and it is free. If you still want Norton, make sure your computer is running normally first

Nope. I'm still having the issue and Dell is baffled. I called them recently and they are having me have my laptop connected to an external monitor and see if the distortion happens...its kind of hard since the distortion is random haha

Did you ever perform a Dell Factory Restore to like the laptop was when you first took it out of the box?

I have done a factory restore. Had my laptop sent to a Dell depot to get parts replaced, etc. Drivers are fully updated as well. Possibly every way to troubleshoot has been done as far as I know and the problem persists. I have been surfing the Dell community forums as well and there are people who have my problem exactly, and they thinks it a problem with the hardware.

Have you swapped the memory around, if you have 2 modules? It almost has to be a problem with hardware. Combined with Norton, you have a real mess. Other than that, the motherboard has to be the cause of the trouble. What parts did Dell replace?

I haven't swapped the memory before. Actually don't really know how that works haha. I believe the motherboard was already replaced.

Back