TechSpot

Dell fined in Taiwan over online pricing mishaps

By Jos
Jul 30, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earlier this month Dell’s Taiwanese online store inadvertently began selling $150 LCD monitors for $15, and repeated the mistake roughly a week later by pricing a $1,900 notebook at around $600. As you might expect, both cases triggered an influx of orders before the company could detect the issues. Dell apologized and while not outright offering to honor sales, it promised “reasonable discounts” to those who ordered the incorrectly-priced products. Naturally, complaints ensued.

Read the whole story

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Ah ha... but not required to honor the $600 price.

3. viperpfl

viperpfl TS Member Posts: 40

I don't think anyone in there right mind should expect Dell to swallow 64.8 million dollars. That's the amount for the laptop mistake alone. Don't get me wrong, Dell made a mistake and they should have to answer for it. They are answering it by giving discounts but not a $1,300 discount that people expect. If the government made a mistake on your taxes in your favor, the government wouldn't disregard the difference you would of had to pay. Why should we expect a company to do the same?

4. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

In North America, as I understand it, if a price is incorrectly advertised, you basically have to bite the bullet and stand by it until it is caught. It's most likely the similar situation in Taiwan otherwise Dell would never have been fined. Unfortunately, the government is 'perfect', they don't make mistakes (even after they do). This '2-stage' law system is interesting...

5. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Rookie Posts: 141

I'm not quite so sure about that. Deepdiscount.com incorrectly applied a discount to their gaming systems a few weeks back and was selling a new PS3 for $299.99 and a Wii for $186.00. Long story short, they caught the mistake and canceled many, many orders for people who tried to purchase them. Link:
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1455757

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.