TechSpot

Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop and PC Card Slot Problem?

By cateye217
Oct 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have Dell 1100 laptop that is running Windows Xp Home.

I use a D-Link G650 card to connect to the Internet. Everything was fine until yesterday.

It appears that my card is not responding--the lights on it don't come on when the PC boots up and even when the boot process is done.

My system tray shows the remark "D-link card not found" and I have no connectivity. I rebotted the machine with the same problem. I haven't reset the D-Link 624 router that I use to connect.

I tried another card in the laptop and I got the same results--no lights on the PC card and no connectivity.

Please advise. I hope it's not the actual PC slot on the laptop sice I don't have a clue about how to repair/replace it??? Is it part of the mobo on the Dell 1100??

Anybody have an idea or clue..
    Please advise.
    Thanks. Tony
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

d-link isn't exactly bad, but thier products aren;t that good either. my first suspect would be the card itself. can you swap it with a known good model or return it?
  3. treefeller

treefeller TS Rookie

Dell Inspiron 1100 Problems

I too have had lots of probs with a D link wireless card in my Inspiron 1100. After lots of head stratching I concluded the problem was with the laptop, rather than the card.

A visit to the Dell support website http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/) lists a number of software patches, including a 50Mb operating system patch (R96945.exe). Running this seems to have sorted out several problems, including the wireless access one.

Hope this works for you too. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.