TechSpot

dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd

By derek2752
Feb 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a dell inspiron 8100. It's giving me the blue screen and last time this happened I just "repaired" windows xp using my cd. This time, when I go to the setup screen, in page 2 "Boot order", at the top of the boot devices it says "Configure Setup is disabled." The boot order is Internal HDD, then CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive, then diskette drive, then modular bay hdd, cardbus NIC, APR NIC and last Mini-PCI NIC. I just want to move CD to 1st but I can't.

"u" and "d" to move devices up and down is locked. Up and down arrow does not move the highlight up and down like it should so I can't hit enter, or spacebar, on the one I want (CD). Right and left arrows do nothing. The only commands that do anything on this screen are Esc, which obviously escapes out of the setup, and Alt-P changes to the next page, but that doesn't help. And PgDn and PgUp which just moves the right side up and down which is just for information purposes.

It is a Dell Inspiron 8100 1200U Setup and BIOS Version: A11

Any suggestions?

2. derek2752

derek2752 TS Rookie Topic Starter

any ideas?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.