Dell laptop says internal hard disk drive not found and no bootable devices

so i was told to buy a sata data and power combo cable and connect the hard drive to my desktop but i don't know what to do after that, is there a certain web site i go to to fix this problem or reformat it is a dell inspiron 1545 and i have windows vista please help

Can you say what happened to your pc, does it boot into Windows?
What do you want to do with the SATA cable you have bought?

Tried to repair computer

we tried the ctrl and F10 at the start up page and did the restore to factory settings and followed the instructions, and when it wento to restart not sure what happened the screen went black and never booted back up. So I was told to buy that sata cable and connect it to the hard drive and hook up to a desktop and reboot it, but i lost the paper i wrote the web site on. so now im not sure what to do.

So you have a Dell laptop 1545, and it stopped booting into Windows Vista.
Then you were told to do a 'restore' back to factory settings, but it didn't work for you.
So you are now trying to take the hard drive out of the laptop and connect it to your other pc, a desktop? I think that is right.
It sounds as if your laptop's hard drive has failed in some way, so the 'restore' would not work anyway.
You need to prove if the laptop's hard drive is working. If you do any work to your pc's make sure you turn off the power, and pull the plug out of the wall.
The cable you bought will plug into the back of your laptop's hard drive, and the other end will plug into an empty SATA socket in your Desktop pc.
You will also need to plug a power plug in to the laptops hard drive. Look near the hard drive in your desktop for spare plugs.
If you are not sure about this, can you find someone who can do the testing for you?

Back