Dell laptop screen went black

By kwool2004
Dec 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi....I posted this earlier but I think it was on the wrong forum....I am a little "green around the gills" when it comes to this site, as I just joined and this is my first posting.

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m which I have been using for just over 2 years with virtually no problems....but about a week ago I was on a plane playing solitaire and my screen showed a few green, blue, and red squares and then went black. It sounded like it was still running, though. I turned it off and tried again a few minutes later, and it was still black but sometimes if I moved the screen back and forth I would get a brief view of my desktop. I hooked it up to an external monitor, and all of my information is still there and the whole thing runs normally. I have spoken with several repair places, and I get different answers every time so I was hoping to gain some insight via this forum. I no longer have a warranty for it, and so far no repair organizations will fix it, but they will diagnose the problem at a hefty price. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks so much for your time!!

-Kristen!
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Your lcd inverter has gone bad. You can buy them on eBay for about $50 - $75, or have it repaired in a shop for about $150.
    If the screen is also bad, the total cost could be $225 to $300...
    Best to get a new computer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.