Dell laptop with a suspect overheating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

I'm a newbie here and have a problem that I hope you could help me.

Mine is a Dell laptop, Inspiron 2500, Pentium III, 512MB ram, Windows XP home edition, 20GB hard drive. I have used it for three years, but in the past week, when I start the computer, it says "Fan error. Press F1 to resume or F2 for setup."

Pressing F1, I could work with the laptop. However, only after a few minutes, I hear the fan operating right away. Then the fan stops, and starts again after another few minutes.

When I begin to use some 'heavy' applications like opening many web pages at the same time, or trying to use voice chat and webcam, the screen will flicker, the laptop slows down to a point where I have to restart it. Then the whole process resumes.

I have tried these following methods: opening the windows for more winds, buying a cool pad (raising the back edge of your notebook to increase airflow). I also tried to clean the dust from the two fans at the back of the laptop. But the problem persists.

Could you please give your advice?

My sincere thanks,

I would take your computer in to a professional as soon as possible. Heat is the enemy. Get yourself a new fan right away, or you'll end up having to get a new computer.

yes, i agree. attempting to service a laptop yoruself usually results in failing to reassemble it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back