Dell Latitude d600 HDD locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
A friend (honest) has the above notebook which he bought second-hand. He used the machine without problems for one year.
He upgraded to Ms Windows XP sr2 but about a month later when booting the machine it displayed -
Hard-disk #***********-595B, the system Primary HDD, is protected by password authentication system. You cannot access data on this hard drive without the correct password.
He tells me that he did not even know that the computer had a hard disk password system and he has never set any passwords on it at all. He has many pictures on the disk which he hopes not to lose.
I cannot find a solution on either the Dell or Hitachi websites and haven't been able to reach Dell by telephone since mid December but a Google search led me here. I have seen replies from Rustam providing generated passwords but his/her private mailbox is full.

Is anybody able to provide me with the HDD password please, the machine details are -
BIOS rev A14
system number #83P7H1J-595B
service tag 83P7H1J
disk s/n MPAA22QBGRSHYB

If the disk can be unlocked, is it better to create a master password and a new HDD password or disable all passwords (in case this happens again)

best wishes and a happy new year
Richard

Hi

Its unlikely adding XP would set a password, your friend or someone must have set it.

Rustam isnt here anymore, your only choice is to go to my site and find the link for repair station, a website that offers remote unlocking of drives, they charge and dont cover all models.

Good luck

Regards

looking for same help for my d600

looking for the sake help for my note book dell d600
r1chard said:
Hi,
A friend (honest) has the above notebook which he bought second-hand. He used the machine without problems for one year.
He upgraded to Ms Windows XP sr2 but about a month later when booting the machine it displayed -
Hard-disk #***********-595B, the system Primary HDD, is protected by password authentication system. You cannot access data on this hard drive without the correct password.
He tells me that he did not even know that the computer had a hard disk password system and he has never set any passwords on it at all. He has many pictures on the disk which he hopes not to lose.
I cannot find a solution on either the Dell or Hitachi websites and haven't been able to reach Dell by telephone since mid December but a Google search led me here. I have seen replies from Rustam providing generated passwords but his/her private mailbox is full.

Is anybody able to provide me with the HDD password please, the machine details are -
BIOS rev A14
system number #83P7H1J-595B
service tag 83P7H1J
disk s/n MPAA22QBGRSHYB

If the disk can be unlocked, is it better to create a master password and a new HDD password or disable all passwords (in case this happens again)

best wishes and a happy new year
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back