Dell + Linux = End of Microsoft monopoly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

Well, even though I've never ever posted is this part of the forums before, I'm going to now.

I've always believed that if Dell actually does ship boxes with Linux instead of Windows, Microsoft's grasp on the world would be severely weakened. This would mainly be due to just the fact that the name "Linux" would now be introduced to the general consumer's dictionary. How would you know any alternative to Windows if you've never heard of it?

Just wanna see what the Linux community in Techspot thinks about it.

The experts agree that little will come of it, other than to open an additional low priced channel for Dell. Since they are not changing their work horse computers, and since there is nobody for support and training, how will things change much.
I think corporate markets which need a boost where budget is concerned may be happy. When we work with insurance or realty companies, the cost of the OS can make huge monetary differences... and they have the tech support for the change-over.
Linux may happen. It is happening in Europe and Asia. But it won't happen yet. The average customer is confused enough. The guy next door will tell him no.

I suppose I did assume that Dell was going to advertise their Linux computers....

As for tech support, I did think about that. Don't they need to train their own tech support people to work with Windows?

But what I was actually talking about would be small businesses and home users: these would be the guys that wouldn't have heard of Linux before. The big businesses would have already heard of Linux, and probably did not make the change because of costs related to re-training. Why wouldn't they do so whenever Windows changes versions is something I don't really understand. Could it perhaps have something to do with Microsoft actually providing support, helping these companies to make the change to a newer version of Windows?

However, these issues aren't really there with small business owners and average home users. Most of them don't know how to use Windows well anyway, so the switch to Linux wouldn't require a lot of re-training anyway. And cost would be a major issue as well to these guys.

As more people use Linux, more people will program for Linux. This would open up Linux to bigger and bigger markets. People like me, who are using Windows solely because Linux doesn't support all the programs I use (games mostly :D) would jump immediately to Linux.

Are there any flaws in this logic, or something that I didn't really think of? I do really hope that Linux and Windows do end up with a 50-50 market majority (well, lets also say that Mac gets its fair share too to keep Mac lovers in the loop).

This is not a vote, I'm actually interested in what people see as a consequence of Dell's actions on Microsoft. I'm not really in the industry, so I don't really have much idea on the factors involved.

Talk is cheap, opinions are cheap, but real experience in the field.... priceless.

CMH said:
what I was actually talking about would be small businesses and home users: these would be the guys that wouldn't have heard of Linux before. The big businesses would have already heard of Linux, and probably did not make the change because of costs related to re-training. Why wouldn't they do so whenever Windows changes versions is something I don't really understand. Could it perhaps have something to do with Microsoft actually providing support, helping these companies to make the change to a newer version of Windows?
I think laziness plays a role here. At least I've seen that here in many occasions - people, who don't use Windows for any Windows-specific tasks, complain about its slowness & problems, are aware of Linux, yet won't bother to try it themselves, not even a live CD.

People like me, who are using Windows solely because Linux doesn't support all the programs I use (games mostly :D) would jump immediately to Linux.
People like me play Windows games in Linux after a bit of research (I play Half-Life 1 & 2 & some other Source-engine games, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Flatout 2, Oblivion, in addition to native Linux versions of some games).

I know there is Wine and other emulations programs like it, but I'm also aware that the games can sometimes take a huge performance hit from it. Not a really good thing...

I understand about laziness there..... Huge issue. I'm also a little lazy, which was why I kinda hesitated in my move to Office 2007 from Office 2003. But I went with it anyway. I kinda like the new UI. Took some time to get used to, but once you are, its great. I should give OpenOffice a go, but when someone else is paying for your Office upgrades...

I know there is Wine and other emulations programs like it,

Wine actually isn't an emulator. Wine Is Not an Emulator=WINE

I think A mainstream linux would have its ups and downs. The ups would be that companies, such as ATI, would be forced to produce some decent Video drivers.

Downs would be more linux virus, and the possibility's of charging for Free distro's such as UBUNTU.

I've not tried Linux, but heard good things about later versions of it. Mac os is for the anti pc exclusive people. The move with dell to linux prob wont hurt microsoft as many people think, its an upside for Linux I guess, not for marketing purposes but moreover for the appreciation of another OS

WINE is not an emulator? o.O

Learnt something today :D

I don't think it is possible for anyone to charge money for any form of Linux. I thought Linus kinda made sure of that.

Dell + Ubuntu < Ubuntu
Simply proves Linux can make even a crappy computer work better. Headlines should read "Dell the biggest computer manufacturer in the world, finally noticed Ubuntu."
Build yourself a nice new computer entirely with off-the shelf parts and put Ubuntu on it. Or take any laptop from anyone and try the Ubuntu Live! disk, 99% it will recognize ALL the hardware. Then wipe the Windows off and you'll have a better laptop.

Ubuntu is a lot like MacIntosh software. People like to pretend that it is a lot better than it is, and overlook its many faults in the process. Unfortunately, the word does not spread. You will not be seeing a lot of people leaping to Ubuntu. Think of how many years Linux and Unix have been out. Yet the percentages of linux users actually drops each year.
There are entire governments in Europe using Linux and Ubuntu, yet their employees do not take it home.
We have a lot of students pretending to use it, but they are broke. When Ubuntu takes off, it will do so because it is actually better. I hope it becomes better soon.

these nobs (sry) will change away from win as soon they don't get any support anymore from their people for free - i don't support it anymore..

kubuntu and nothing more.. i tried so many os's and distros.. kubuntu brang back the fun for me.. i even started to code again.

btw. hp is also in now.. answers your question?

After doing support for Dell owners, and Dell Businesses since their beginning... and the same for HP, and IBM, and for Ubuntu, Unix, and other Linux variations since 1997, I do not believe there is any chancel of a change over to Linux... Well, maybe, if people learn to read.
It might also help if the impact is felt in the wallet... but Dell and HP will not allow it to be cheap... just cheaper.

Nothing is ever free.
Not the kind of tech support most people expect... that is not free... not from any company I know. Not real support.

Is this any different with Windows?

Vista had just as many flaws as any linux distro..and they charge $100-300.

I dont know how you can say its alot better then what people believe.

ITS FREE!! And it gets most of what people want in a computer done

I think it's one of the best "free" things ever created. If you

know how to use Linux..then it is essentially free. I

do not consider "tech support" as part of the price of a product. I Think if

you are a linux user, then there is no point of buying a windows pc just to

scrap windows and install Ubuntu. But then again..if you are a linux user,

then you are probably also smart enough to not buy a dell and just build your

own pc. Also, if you know what you are doing, then there should be no need

for any tech support. I can't even remember the last time i used techsupport.

I think it was probably 5 years ago when my Temp sensor wasn't working. If you

know anything about what you are doing, then you should be able to figure it out.

This is no different with Linux, mac, or Windows.

If you know how to use Linux..then it is essentially free. I do not consider "tech support" as part of the price of a product."

But that is the point of this thread. Linux is popular among people on this forum, but it will never be successful in the broader computer community because of the cost of providing support.

Users of Windows are an astonishingly stoopid lot, considering how many years (12) that we have had a Windows operating system out there.

Somebody has to pay for the cost of educating the Linux user, and dealing with driver issues, and all the differences between Linux and Windows...

It is the inflexibility, and inability to self-educate that will prevent Linux from every being mainstream... as that is what is happening in Europe in the locations where it has been out for three years.

Ok, i see what you are saying.

I do agree, it will never overtake windows or Mac. But i do think linux is

becoming Alot easier to use and would eventually have the potential to

become a mainstream Os, but never will because of the lack of knowledge,

not on how to use it, but on rather the fact that it even exists. Many people

haven't even heard of it. Windows will stay dominate for the same reason

nortan anti-virus has. Because that is all that people know.Not because it is

any better then the rest, but simply because people don't know any better.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Solved any "technical support" problem i have ever had with Ubuntu.

And if you have trouble with getting replys, actually searching for a solution

has always prevailed. A good thing about that is you actually learn something

over simply just asking someone for the answer.

It's comparable to when you use to ask your mom how to spell a word and

she would tell you to look it up in the dictionary.

This has worked better then any "payed for" windows technical support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back