Dell readying 30-inch UltraSharp display with IPS panel

Jos

Staff

Recent leaks suggest that Dell will soon begin shipping a new 30-inch monitor with a 10-bit in-plane switching (IPS) panel and a 2560x1600 resolution. The UltraSharp U3011 would have a pre-calibrated panel from LG capable of producing 1.07 billion colors, with a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (1,000:1 static), 270cd/m2 brightness rating, 178-degree viewing angles, and a 7ms gray-to-gray pixel response time. Connections include a VGA connector, two DVI inputs, one component, two HDMI, and a full-size DisplayPort input.

The company's UltraSharp line of monitors is a favorite among those in the graphics and design industries -- and was recommended by our own Per Hansson in his editorial on LCD quality last year. Considering that the 27-inch model was given a refresh earlier this year, and with Apple recently discontinuing its 30-inch Cinema Display, it seems Dell is ready to take the opportunity and bring its flagship display up to date.

Pricing information hasn't been revealed just yet but their current 30-inch model sells for $1,600. We would expect the UltraSharp U3011 to carry a similarly hefty price tag when it arrives, presumably, around October.

Permalink to story.

Man, I can only imagine playing an eye-candy game like Crysis or Bioshock on a display like that! Just a TAD bit out of my price range though. :p

This is the 30" 2560x1600 version of the U2711 which was 2560x1440 (which I got last Winter, and its awesome ... the 30 incher is likely to be similarly amazing).

It's nice to see a renewed interest in the better LCD panel technologies. One guesses that Dell did a market survey before they committed to bringing a high end monitor such as this to market. Apple's 30 incher probably fell victim to Apple's own immutable pricing model. Although in the past, most of the major manufacturers have advanced and retreated periodically from this market segment.

There seems to be a renewed interest on the part of the consumer in better displays also, and both Dell and HP have brought reasonably priced 22" and 24" IPS displays to market recently. Presumably these are moving well enough to insure "survival of the species", so to speak. Even at the lower price points, (the 24" HP is $425.00 retail w/ only 8 bit color depth), there isn't much doubt that these types of displays are far and away superior to their TN cousins.

I would very nearly give a body part (just one) for a pair or three of these. It would also make the purchase of a second 5970 worthwhile.

Since Dell doesn't make their own, is this made under there Sharp contract or their Samsung one?

I use a $150 23 1920x1080, and would like to increase the monitor size to a 27 inch 1440P screen but the price is to great for my pocket in this economy...

I would love to have a 30 inch monitor for graphic work, but again the price if a bit to steep, thus it will continue to be a dream for a while and continue to think 1440...

I understand we might see a few frameless monitors with Gorilla Glass - Notebook & TV seem to be in the pipeline, screens not needing a bezel will remove designers hesitancy to provide fashion for the TV & computer monitor...
http://www.ksdk.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=210043&catid=71

With Google & Sony providing the team we may see Google TV on framless monitor quicker than anyone thought...
http://blogs.forrester.com/james_mcquivey/10-06-10-google_tv_bigger_deal_you_think

captaincranky said:
Imagine the desk you would need to place one of these dells.... I don't like it, is just too big.
You're just saying that 'cause you don't have one.

Probably, but I can't imagine a bigger screen than I already have, my tv it's 33 inches and its WAY too big to watch it at less than 1 meter... So, how can I possibly think of a 30' monitor at the close distance of 40cm or even closer... As you can see, I'm not just saying!

Well, I think you're looking at the possibilities of this size display on an amateur level.

In a work environment, a graphics pro might be using a large tablet for image editing, which would put space between the operator and the screen. The display would likely be used for presentation, and in that case, the bigger, brighter, and sharper the better and more impressive. This coupled with tool pallet and editing area separation in only one panel, rather than spreading the same array across, twin screens. In that scenario, there would be no need for calibrating other than a single screen, rather than trying two balance two dissimilar machines

It does sort of go without saying that one of these is not going to find its way into the average home study, but you still need to be thankful that development is continuing with monitors of this size and quality, and even more so with the smaller more affordable IPS panels now available.

As I've said elsewhere many times, this monitor is 16:10 rather than the new BS 1080P 16:9 panels that are being rammed down the consumer's throat, and 16:9 sucks big time for anything other than watching TV and Movies on the computer.

BTW, the definition and color accuracy that this monitor should be able to deliver, would more than likely render any comparison with a similarly sized standard 1080P TV completely moot.

As anecdotal evidence, Apple wanted their new imaging software, "Aperture" tested by "Shutterbug" magazine. So, what did they do, but send a twin CPU G-4 Power Mac and >> 2 (yes two) 30" Apple Cinema displays along with the software. This left the reviewer scratching his head saying, "of course it's going to look fabulous on this gear. but how's it going to look on the junk I have to work with everyday". (Or something like that).

Why stil LCD??? I thought LED Is the future.

Well since, "LCD" (Liquid-Crystal-Display) is the screen technology, and "LED" (Light Emitting Diodes) is a technology for backlighting the display, used in lieu of "CCFL", I would say "WTF are you talking about"....?

I've actually been looking at replacing my current monitor with this (not sure if that link will work for you guys) since they've got them refurbed at my local B&M for $899. I watch a lot of movies in my computer room (I already have a pseudo HTPC in my TV room) and already have decent audio set up in the computer room as well. I think this would be a great compromise/alternative since I can't really afford a 30" and I'd really like something bigger than what I have now. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has used one of these sets as a monitor and I really want to know what kinds of drawbacks there are in practice.

What I'm getting at is no matter how big you make it, someone would always like it bigger.

From time to time, Newegg sell refurbished Dell 24" IPS monitors, @ about $210.00.

People buy them and them they say, "it was DOA", "the packing was horrible", "there were 4000 hours on the back light", and to a lesser extent, "I'm thrilled with this, an $800.00 monitor for $200.00 dollars.

Dell provides a 3 year warranty on their monitors, so "refurbished" could mean a panel rehabbed from a warranty replacement during that period of time.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to Vizio's policies. There is a certain amount of pot luck involved, since you could get anything from a refurbished DOA, to a take back from a service call on a TV that would have run out of warranty the next day.

As to using a TV for a monitor, that may be a psychological issue as much as a practical matter. since a desktop PC, by its nature, sets up a work environment entirely different than a TV. If I had to guess, I'd say that using a 46" TV might be great for multi-player gaming, but suck to beat the band for doing your income tax.

Yeah, I know it's not exactly the norm - that's why I'm looking for something that will display text really, really well. Keep in mind my computer room looks a little like this and I'd put it on the wall directly under that center speaker (room looks slightly different now, but this is close enough to get the point across). That's a 24 in that spot right now so I think a 47 should fit just fine and should make it easier to sit back and play FFXIV for long periods of time.

that's why I'm looking for something that will display text really, really well.
Well, keep in mind that the individual pixels are huge in a display of perhaps 47". That said, I don't know if a display that size will display text, "really well", or simply "really big".

Keep in mind that I find that the most pleasing text displays occur on 22" 1680 X 1050 monitors. In spite of the size increase when you bump up to a 24", the 1920 X 1200 resolution presents text and icons that are natively smaller than those on the 22" screens .

As I said, I think a 47" TV would be a knockout for gaming, but not for general computing. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

BTW, was that a Mac I saw lurking under the desk. I caught ya.........;)

Heh - I have 6 Macs, but many more PCs! Like I said, though, that rooms looks different now and the Mac you can see has been retired. There is a Dual G5 to the right that doesn't show up in the pic though.

I think I'm going to try to sell that quicksilver on craigslist - the fanboys will buy anything Mac for a decent amount of coin, no matter how old.

Back